• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Lapua Build

338FREAK

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2013
Hello all, I am in the market for building a custom .338 Lapua. I currently have a Savage 110 w/ HS Precision 26" barrel and it shoots great but the action is not smooth and I have had Issues like many have had extracting spent cases. Also now that i have my suppressor the 26" barrel with 10" can hanging off of it really throws off the balance of the rifle.

I am curious who out there has a good list of actions and barrel manufacturers? I've tried the search but all I can find are more common calibers. Below can someone help answer some of my requirement?

To give you an Idea of what I want out of this rifle here are the requirements:

Strong/accurate smooth action .50 MOA to much to ask?
Shorter barrel, I can't decide between 16", 18" or 20" (The max range I intend to shoot will be 1,000 yards to maybe a mile but 575 yards is the norm.)
1-10 twist or 5r? which is better for 300 grain SMK'S?
How do I pick out a stock for the action decide to go with?
Overall weight of the rifle I would prefer to be under 16lbs
Price = not an issue for the exact rifle I want. As I already have optics ect.

Any help would be appreciated as I am new to building a custom rifle. (Please don't try to change the subject away from a .338 Lapua I know its overkill for what I do but I like the noise it makes...)

If only people discussed both Magnum Actions and Barrel Manufactures on this website..........

I reccomend you make a 16" .338 Lapua Mag. It's what the SEALs are running now.

Defiance surgeon bat stiller all make good actions I wouldnt run any shorter then 26in IMO if you plan on making it to a mile. No point in such a big caliber pushing all the powder in a short barrel you won't burn it all and will not see the potential of the gun.

Just my .02

DTA is using a 1:9 twist on 18 inch 338 lapua coverts. might look at load / ballistics data from folks who have those to help you decide which way you want to go.

Thanks so far for the opinions, keep em coming! Anyone out there have a custom .338 Lapua with a shorter barrel that can chime in?

Hello all, I am in the market for building a custom .338 Lapua. I currently have a Savage 110 w/ HS Precision 26" barrel and it shoots great but the action is not smooth and I have had Issues like many have had extracting spent cases. Also now that i have my suppressor the 26" barrel with 10" can hanging off of it really throws off the balance of the rifle.

I am curious who out there has a good list of actions and barrel manufacturers? I've tried the search but all I can find are more common calibers. Below can someone help answer some of my requirement?

Shorter barrel, I can't decide between 16", 18" or 20" (The max range I intend to shoot will be 1,000 yards to maybe a mile but 575 yards is the norm.)

Any help would be appreciated as I am new to building a custom rifle. (Please don't try to change the subject away from a .338 Lapua I know its overkill for what I do but I like the noise it makes...)

1000 yards to 1760 but 575 is the norm...???

At a bit of a loss here where to begin......

it is if you are not a .5 MOA Shooter. The nut behind the bolt.

Why? Why would anyone build a .338LM and put a 16/18" barrel. Just to see how large of a flamethrower and how much powder will not burn?

Why the 300SMK if you are at 575 yards "as the norm"?

You get behind numerous shocks and see what fits you?

Why not.....you want Hell's Hammer and you want it to be light...??

price is ALWAYS an issue.

Please see the above comments. You can do as you want (it is your money). Just at a loss.....

You will most likely have trouble running your suppressor with anything 18" or less. Many people have had their suppressor blown off the barrel or ruined. So a search for it... There is too much pressure and unburnt powder with that short of a barrel.

Essentially is it possible to make hits to 1,000 yards with a shorter barrel? Currently with my 26" it isn't an issue but if I shorten it will that significantly decrease accuracy? I have plenty of adjustment within my scope currently. The mile long shooting would be a once a year thing maybe. But every weekend I am shooting only to 575. Maybe 2 times a month to 1,000 yards

You will most likely have trouble running your suppressor with anything 18" or less. Many people have had their suppressor blown off the barrel or ruined. So a search for it... There is too much pressure and unburnt powder with that short of a barrel.

Ok thank you for the information! I appreciate it. By the way nice vette

Please see the above comments. You can do as you want (it is your money). Just at a loss.....

Thanks for the input and I never "wanted" a 16" barrel just trying to see what the shortest possible is to reduce bulk but still be productive. And money truely is not an issue. The weight is tho as I am not always at a range to shoot many times it's field use thus a lighter rifle makes life easy. Recoil is not a problem either. Thanks for the advice tho! I truely value all opinions as it helps me think more.

I had a 20" trg42 running factory 300 blackhills ammo at 2520 held 1/2 Moa out to 800 yards, never got a chance to shoot it past that

Essentially is it possible to make hits to 1,000 yards with a shorter barrel? Currently with my 26" it isn't an issue but if I shorten it will that significantly decrease accuracy? I have plenty of adjustment within my scope currently. The mile long shooting would be a once a year thing maybe. But every weekend I am shooting only to 575. Maybe 2 times a month to 1,000 yards

Sounds to me like you don't really need a 338 lapua.

I mean you can do whatever you want. Don't get me wrong, but those ranges/circumstances could be done with something much smaller that won't be throwing 40 grains of unburnt powder downrange every shot. Save yourself some (read: "a lot of") money, recoil, noise, flash etc... and still tag animals, plates, paper to 600yd. I'd say look at some of the 6.5mm options, .30-06, .308 even...

Sounds to me like you don't really need a 338 lapua.

I mean you can do whatever you want. Don't get me wrong, but those ranges/circumstances could be done with something much smaller that won't be throwing 40 grains of unburnt powder downrange every shot. Save yourself some (read: "a lot of") money, recoil, noise, flash etc... and still tag animals, plates, paper to 600yd. I'd say look at some of the 6.5mm options, .30-06, .308 even...

I've already got a 6.5 Creedmoore, .308, & 7mm-08 already I'm not going away from a .338. I think I will just get a 20" barrel for all around use.

ANYONE out there have any other action manufactures for magnum cals. Other than what has been said already?

However as others have pointed out, it all depends on what your goals are for the rifle. I shoot paper/steel/rocks, but primarily to put 4 legged critters down in the Fall/Winter.

I run a 22.5" Bartlein spiral fluted (weight reduction) 1:9.5 with TBAC 338BA can, 250 Scenars in my DTA covert (2.5-10x42 NF) @2725 fps .50 moa to 1000 yds if I do my job in this Wyoming wind. I put this together for my packing into 7-10,000' elevations for 500-800 yd Elk/Mule deer tactical hunting rig.

My full size DTA SRS wears a 26" barrel and makes a mile easily with 250's or 300's.
Also the longer barrels are a bit more forgiving on how I drive the rifle. I use this setup (5-25X NF) when I cannot close the distance on Elk are grazing in wide open country and you simply cannot close the distance.

2 completely different setups, just because I wanted to address to entirely different situations.

You could compromise with 3.5-15x50 glass on a 24" barrel to do what you your stated goals are...though they seem quite diverse.

Zak @ TBAC says 20" is the min length for the 338BA when used with the 338L- you surely do not want to ruin your expensive hard to get suppressor

This guy fell last year to my 22.5" 338 @ an 8000' stalk with an easy 400 yd shot. A week later my cow Elk walked right by me @ 60 yards in open country where I normally drop them at 700-1000yds.

If I were you and just punching paper and steel with the 338L I would go with 26" min, perhaps even 30" for the 300 gr bullets.

However as others have pointed out, it all depends on what your goals are for the rifle. I shoot paper/steel/rocks, but primarily to put 4 legged critters down in the Fall/Winter.

I run a 22.5" Bartlein spiral fluted (weight reduction) 1:9.5 with TBAC 338BA can, 250 Scenars in my DTA covert (2.5-10x42 NF) @2725 fps .50 moa to 1000 yds if I do my job in this Wyoming wind. I put this together for my packing into 7-10,000' elevations for 500-800 yd Elk/Mule deer tactical hunting rig.

My full size DTA SRS wears a 26" barrel and makes a mile easily with 250's or 300's.
Also the longer barrels are a bit more forgiving on how I drive the rifle. I use this setup (5-25X NF) when I cannot close the distance on Elk are grazing in wide open country and you simply cannot close the distance.

2 completely different setups, just because I wanted to address to entirely different situations.

You could compromise with 3.5-15x50 glass on a 24" barrel to do what you your stated goals are...though they seem quite diverse.

Zak @ TBAC says 20" is the min length for the 338BA when used with the 338L- you surely do not want to ruin your expensive hard to get suppressor

This guy fell last year to my 22.5" 338 @ an 8000' stalk with an easy 400 yd shot. A week later my cow Elk walked right by me @ 60 yards in open country where I normally drop them at 700-1000yds.

If I were you and just punching paper and steel with the 338L I would go with 26" min, perhaps even 30" for the 300 gr bullets.

Ok thanks for the great detail in your explanation! Great elk btw!!!

I run a stiller action with a 30in bartlien on my 338 lapua ackley improved. 100 grains of retumbo behind 300 Berger hybrids running just under 3000fps and in still super sonic at 2000 yards longer barrel is definitely the way to go.

I run a stiller action with a 30in bartlien on my 338 lapua ackley improved. 100 grains of retumbo behind 300 Berger hybrids running just under 3000fps and in still super sonic at 2000 yards longer barrel is definitely the way to go.

How heavy is your rifle with that set up? Just curious.

That's not bad at all, I think my Savage W/can is about that much.

Yea in shooting a heavy contour bartlein finishes at .960-1in at the muzzle. I have deep spiral flutes in the barrel which relieved some weight

I just received my custom .338 Lapua just over two months ago. Extremely happy with how she turned out.

- She shoots better than I do.
- Load Development with 300 SMK's has proved .2 MOA to around .5 MOA.
- Stock is preference unless your hardware choices say other
- My rig is probably around 15 pounds
- So far she enjoys 300 SMK's
- Still working with 285 Hornady and 300 OTM's along with Retumbo & H1000

I myself would not do a short barrel but you are the one paying. :cool: My purpose for 338 LM was for 1000 to 2000yds/meters. Because I live close to NYC distance is limited though I do travel to PA, GA and FL for 1000 yards for my other rigs.

Already have plans on two one mile shot trips to PA and VA.

I wouldn't change anything with my hardware choices.

Just a note of interest:

DPMS makes their Lite Hunter in .338 with 20" barrel. Supposedly it weighs about 8 lbs. It's not custom, if that's what you really want, but it was designed for your hunting purpose and meets most of the wants you listed, except that it's semi and not bolt.

LITE HUNTER

Skip the bullshit and buy an AI. There's been deals lately on AX's and AWSM's. By time you get a custom action that is properly sized for the 338, stock/chassis, the rest of the parts and have it put together you're in the price range of an AI.

If overall size and bulk is the issue then I would recommend the DTA. You can have an overall compact package without compromising the effectiveness of the cartridge. The other route would be the AXMC and get a short barrel spun up for it.

I have a AIAX 338 w/ 20" 1 in 9.5~ barrel, w/ TBAC 338. My max effective range is right at 1600m. I've hit farther with it, but it was a huge challenge. I took it deer hunting last year and it weigh's in at around 12-14lbs. It was the first and last time I will ever take it hunting. Unless I get drawn for the wrong area again.

Set up just about like what Vickers used in his TAC TV episode. But I had gotten mine before I ever saw that, so no I didn't copy him.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/InfNNJQzx50/hqdefault.jpg

I normally use Hornady 285's. I've been trying to get berger 300's to work, but with the shorter barrel I cant get them to group well. Any 250 works fine, but have not spent a lot of time doing load development on them.

I under stand the why, of just because. But I'm going to tell you that its over kill for what you want. Unless you are hunting somewhere that requires 500+ yrd shots. You should work on being a better hunter than thinking that you can kill it from a mile away. I just had to talk a co-worker out of getting a 308, because it was the wrong gun for what he wanted to do. Sales guy told him that he could hit targets at 1 mile all day long, no problem with this gun. And yes there a lots on here who can do it. But its not the right tool to be using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InfNNJQzx50

Skip the bullshit and buy an AI. There's been deals lately on AX's and AWSM's. By time you get a custom action that is properly sized for the 338, stock/chassis, the rest of the parts and have it put together you're in the price range of an AI.

Looking into the AI's the cheapest i can find the .338 was like $7000 where are you finding them cheaper? I am not to familiar with looking for AI's

So far I am leaning towards the Defience action, Bartline barrel, and a not sure what stock yet but so far the barrel is $450, the action is $1500 so thats only $2g's plus another 1G for a stock and another $250 for trigger. still seems cheaper than that route.

Let me know if I'm missing somthing?

Thanks!

Looking into the AI's the cheapest i can find the .338 was like $7000 where are you finding them cheaper? I am not to familiar with looking for AI's

So far I am leaning towards the Defience action, Bartline barrel, and a not sure what stock yet but so far the barrel is $450, the action is $1500 so thats only $2g's plus another 1G for a stock and another $250 for trigger. still seems cheaper than that route.

Let me know if I'm missing somthing?

Thanks!

$7000 is way overpriced for a old model AX, you can get a AXMC for about that after discounts. Call euro optic and see what they have left for old style AX's. There's also at least one listed here for around $5500.