• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 lapua build

Bradc86

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2024
Kentucky
A few years back (probably 8) I built a 6.5 Creedmoor by buying a Howa 1500 barreled action and a chassis from MDT. I am wanting to do something similar with a 338 lapua but I am not seeing many, if any, barreled actions, and seeing so many different options on actions and barrels has me nervous on picking ones that would work together. I was able to figure out everything on the 6.5 but obviously the action and barrel came together. This would be my first time getting them separately if that's how I have to go. Any input, suggestions, or articles/threads to read would be appreciated. I want to learn on my own but also don't mind some guidance. I would rather build one that buy one off the shelf (even if it's just putting a few pieces together like the 6.5>

I just want something decently priced that I can have fun with 1000+ yards but also be consistent although I will almost certainly never do any kind of competitions with it.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20161117_170602.jpg
    20161117_170602.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 30
if your fun level is 1250 yards and under you don't need a .338 to get there.

6.5 creed is a cheaper build, cheaper ammo, easier to learn how to shoot and has plenty of horsepower to get you to 1000+.

• Wow
Reactions: Balor
if your fun level is 1250 yards and under you don't need a .338 to get there.

6.5 creed is a cheaper build, cheaper ammo, easier to learn how to shoot and has plenty of horsepower to get you to 1000+.
Jesus, where’s the fun in that?

• Haha
Reactions: bbhank
A few years back (probably 8) I built a 6.5 Creedmoor by buying a Howa 1500 barreled action and a chassis from MDT. I am wanting to do something similar with a 338 lapua but I am not seeing many, if any, barreled actions, and seeing so many different options on actions and barrels has me nervous on picking ones that would work together. I was able to figure out everything on the 6.5 but obviously the action and barrel came together. This would be my first time getting them separately if that's how I have to go. Any input, suggestions, or articles/threads to read would be appreciated. I want to learn on my own but also don't mind some guidance. I would rather build one that buy one off the shelf (even if it's just putting a few pieces together like the 6.5>

I just want something decently priced that I can have fun with 1000+ yards but also be consistent although I will almost certainly never do any kind of competitions with it.

Thanks in advance
I went with a Savage 110BA, it’s been good to me shooting right at .8moa with 285gn bone stock except for polishing extra locktite in a few spots and a skim bedding job on the action and recoil lug.

I went with a Savage 110BA, it’s been good to me shooting right at .8moa with 285gn bone stock except for polishing extra locktite in a few spots and a skim bedding job on the action and recoil lug.
Mine also likes the 285 ELD-M.

This is 3 shots on a gong at 425y with the final load of 92.3gr of H1000.
WARNING: This load is above published load data. Do not use without working up carefully.

Reactions: Evlshnngns