• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Lapua Builder

CrazyJoe

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2010
Virginia Beach
I'm interested in finding a specific builder who specializes in 338LM. I saw a WTS post this summer (thought I'd saved it) for a 338LM custom. The seller had several of this builders' rifles and and mentioned his specialization in 338LM. I believe the builder is in TX. I remember from the pics in the post that his name is stamped on his bbls.

Not much to go on I know but if it rings a bell I'd appreciate a POC. CJ

Re: 338 Lapua Builder

Not sure if you are looking for specific recommendations but Jered at American Precision Arms (APA) did my 338LM build and his work is amazing.Attention to detail, craftsmanship etc. just perfect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots of great builders out there...all fully capable of building all calibers.

what are you looking for in a 338LM ? </div></div>

Agreed. Have a GAP and an AJ Brown build underway as we speak.

Just starting the 338 planning. I remember the post I referenced but not that particular build's name. My aim is to add him to list of folks I'll consider.

This is what I'm kicking around:

Surgeon Action
Manners stock
Jewel Trigger
Surefire Brake
BBL TBD
Twist TBD

A beauty just sold yesterday here. Surgeon build. Should have jumped on it.

I know you're looking for a custom builder, but consider buying an off the shelf SSG08 Steyr in 338LM. They have designed and tested their chambers to withstand pretty incredible pressures. Probably have eqpt and design know-how and specs that the custom builders might not have. Just an idea for you.You won't save alot of money however... they are pricey.

Bought a Savage gun. I have the gun now will go to a shooters supply trigger, have some work done on the bolt to slick it up, and add glass.. I can tell you the brake is extremely effictive.

I looked at the Sako but for me wanted to go less money. TIme will tell if I amde a good choice.

my buddy has a stock savage 10 ba in 338 lapua, it is a sweet great shooting rifle,and has a comfortable ergonomic stock. he hasnt started reloading yet but shoots black hills

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GMR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bought a Savage gun. I have the gun now will go to a shooters supply trigger, have some work done on the bolt to slick it up, and add glass.. I can tell you the brake is extremely effictive.

I looked at the Sako but for me wanted to go less money. TIme will tell if I amde a good choice. </div></div>

Is it a Surefire brake? Want to make sure that felt recoil isnt more than I want to contend with. Had a 300 Wby once that kicked like a mule. Got rid of it for that reason.

If I were looking for a muzzle brake I'd look at either APA Fat Bastard or one of Badgers designs. Both of these are highly effective and work wonders. Mine has a Lawton brake and while this is an amazing brake I can't recommend Lawton for anything at present. My past experience with them was no good.

The fat Bastard is an insanely good brake. My buddy has one on a 7mmWSM and I swear the rifle almost want to move forward. I'm putting one on my next rifle. I should have it this week. I had Jered cut a 3/4x24 thread for it.

APA has great customer service and a great product. I have a Badger FTE on a 260 and it seems to work fine too. Same story with Marty at Badger, great guy to work with.

A have owned the TRG42 and a custom Rem 700 in 338 Rem ultra mag! The ultra mag out shot the TRG and cost less to reload ( cheaper brass ) and parts easier to find for the 700!! I know brass has comedown but maybe consider that or a 700 in 338LM! It's an awesome round!!! Can't really go wrong!!! Just make sure you have around 600-1500yds to shoot!!!!

Rifle and glass $2200, 1\2 MOA @ 300 yards with little to no load developement, PRICELESS!!

DSC01113.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

Diego

diego, whats the load your running?, ill pass it on to my buddy kevin. he just got dies this weekend

Very impressive group , and with no load development ! Have a 338 on way in, need a brake BEFORE I shoot it, looking at APA's and Near units at present.Jered says he can do the metric threads for a slight upcharge; have shot his brake on a friends 338 rifle, manageable recoil off bench. Keep us posted on next range trip.