• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Lapua Builder

CrazyJoe

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2010
Virginia Beach
I'm researching a 338LM build. I'm interested finding smiths who specialize in 338LM or are particularly well know for their work in that caliber. I know you "can't go wrong with GAP". Its the lesser known shops who's medium of choice is 338LM that I'm looking for. Thanks gents.....CJ

Re: 338 Lapua Builder

Nothing special about building a 338 Lapua. Any reputable smith can build you a quality rifle that will out shoot you. My recommendation is to figure out which action you want to build on then call any of the smiths listed below and they will get you setup with rifle that you will be proud to own.

American Precision Arms
Tac Ops
GAP
Underground Skunkworks
Louisiana Precision Rifles

LS Thanks for the input. I saw a post in the WTS forum in July or August describing a builder who was a "Lapua Guy". Thought I saved it but didn't. Now that I'm in the market I'm trying to retrace my steps. Will take a look at your suggestions as well. Got a GAP on the way in 300WSM. Love that tax free money. CJ

Mark from Short Action Customs built me a very good shooting 338LM. I used a Surgeon action and Krieger barrel with an AICS.

Dave Tooley has plenty of experience with 338LM as well as the Norma offerings (338 & 300).

Mike at Black-ops Tech. does great work. I have a Infidel in 338 Lapua. He is great to do business with.

Have you used a 338 before?

Anyone can build one. But you can find PLENTY of LN used ones. The reason being people buy them without having used one before. GAP had one ready to go on their site....the buyer returned it because of recoil.

If you know what you are getting into, fine, get one built.
I bought a Barrett.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm researching a 338LM build. I'm interested finding smiths who specialize in 338LM or are particularly well know for their work in that caliber. I know you "can't go wrong with GAP". Its the lesser known shops who's medium of choice is 338LM that I'm looking for. Thanks gents.....CJ </div></div>

JAX, Have not shot one. Figured their abundance on the Hide had something to do with recoil. I appreciate you trying to help me avoid an expensive mistake. Will be paying particular attention to the brake I choose. CJ

I would also recommend that you look into the AI AWSM. There have been a few of them used on the Hide. I have had one for a few years, great shooter, minimal recoil.

338 recoil isn't bad at all; if you have a decent brake on the thing it's no worse than shooting a 30-06 (and with an effective brake and heavy gun it's a lot nicer than the 30-06!).

I think what drives most people away is the cost of ammo and even the expense of reloading. Buying in quantity my 308 reloads are a little over 40 cents each, my 338 reloads are around $1.25 each.

Lots of good builders out there, find someone you like. Mike Bush (Underground Skunkworks/Black Ops Tech), GAP, Roscoe (LA Precision), Chad Dixon (Long Rifles Inc), APA, Mark at SAC, RW Snyder, Jon Beanland, they can all build great rifles. Personally I like it when they're willing to throw an accuracy guarantee on it with factory ammo because it gives a control in seeing how the thing shoots. But that is strictly personal preference and none of these guys would hesitate to help out if the gun wasn't shooting to your expectations.

So, get your map out and find who is closest to you!

71FB, that was most helpful. I've had some contact with a few of those guys. Your recoil description is reassuring. $4 a shot for factory ammo explains the availability of rifles better than recoil. Better prepared now to come up with a recipe. Would you describe Surefire as "an effective brake"? CJ

I recently bought a Sako TRG 42 in .338 and love it. If you are not completly set on getting one built I would look into a TRG or like deisel said an AI AWSM.

Crazy Joe, I highly recommend Gap for your 338 Lapua, mine is a 1/4 to 1/2 moa hammer! As for shooting the Lapua as long as you get behind it right and drive it right you will not have any issues. My shooting buddy took a beating from his 338 TRG on his first solo trip to the range ( he literally cut his cheek open and was bleeding like a stuck pig!). He was grouping around four inches at 100 yards. After less than five minutes of instruction on driving the rifle properly he is now averaging moa and under all day long. He almost sold the rifle after the first range trip, now he is loves it!

I think a combo of the price to feed and the amplifying of any bad habits are the biggest reason there are so many like new 338 for sale. ( few people have access to long distance ranges probably does not help either.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">71FB, that was most helpful. I've had some contact with a few of those guys. Your recoil description is reassuring. $4 a shot for factory ammo explains the availability of rifles better than recoil. Better prepared now to come up with a recipe. Would you describe Surefire as "an effective brake"? CJ </div></div>

I've never shot with a Surefire brake so I honestly couldn't tell you. Whatever builder you go with will have a solid recommendation for what brake they prefer and have experience with. I personally like the Sako TRG brakes and Badger FTE's, they are both well suited for a 338.

The Barrett is a soft shooter. I shot one that BattleAxe had at the range, and owned one of my own within 2 weeks.

The brake is a big deal. Good thinking.

338 is a fantastic caliber. In some ways its a perfect beginner caliber. It shoots flat and and bucks wind like crazy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JAX, Have not shot one. Figured their abundance on the Hide had something to do with recoil. I appreciate you trying to help me avoid an expensive mistake. Will be paying particular attention to the brake I choose. CJ </div></div>

I would check out the AI AX338 or a custom build by APA based on Jered's Obadiah.

My .338LM is awesome. I would go with a lg. barrel size and brake.
My 338 in my AICS weighs in at 17lbs with scope and my 12 year old shoots it. He said dad that in awesome! weight helps
My 338 is built on the cheap Remington action and Krieger barrel.
I would look at Benchmark for a rife.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tacreloader25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My .338LM is awesome. I would go with a lg. barrel size and brake.
My 338 in my AICS weighs in at 17lbs with scope and my 12 year old shoots it. He said dad that in awesome! weight helps
My 338 is built on the cheap Remington action and Krieger barrel.
I would look at Benchmark for a rife.
</div></div>

Just make sure Benchmark uses the right reamer.

The Surefire brake is very effective. The APA Fat Bastard makes the rifle feel like a .308.