• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Lapua built on an AR platform

jwlig0321

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2008
just looking for feedback at this point, I have a few friends that are looking at manufacturing a 338 Lapua magnum on a modified AR platform. Do you think this would be a worth while product or should it remain a bolt gun exclusively? Is there any interest for this rifle on this forum? Any features, accessories, or equipment you would want to see incorporated into the rifle? Thanks for your feedback!

Re: 338 Lapua built on an AR platform

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwlig0321</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have a few friends that are looking at manufacturing a 338 Lapua magnum on a modified AR platform. Do you think this would be a worth while product or should it remain a bolt gun exclusively? </div></div>

I don't understand at all why anyone would want a semi-auto .338lm. The cartridge was designed to get the job done with 1 good shot. And with the price of ammo..... that is all I want to send. If you need more, get a buddy or an 82A1. All I saw on that video was a waste of $50.

If you can make one at a $2000 or less price point that is sub MOA accurate then they might sell OK.

Looked like the BCG didn't lock back in the RND.

Steve

Variety is great, and I am sure you will get varying opinions, but I would have no use for it.

To me, the LM is awesome for use in precision, long range work. Just doesnt seem applicable in an AR platform. I am sure they would be badass, but I would prefer to have one in a bolt gun.

Looking at the Youtube video, that is a pretty badass rifle.

It would definitely be expensive to feed(for the taxpayer), and add a lot of weight to a soldiers ruck, but you could really fuck up some shit. Hiding in a cinder block building would no longer seem like a good idea for old Haj. Or a fucking brick house for that matter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwlig0321</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just looking for feedback at this point, I have a few friends that are looking at manufacturing a 338 Lapua magnum on a modified AR platform. Do you think this would be a worth while product or should it remain a bolt gun exclusively? Is there any interest for this rifle on this forum? Any features, accessories, or equipment you would want to see incorporated into the rifle? Thanks for your feedback! </div></div>

I think the price point will be a make-or-break issue on this, but in general if you make it and if it's of good quality you'll find some buyers for it. Others pointed out there are at least a few others out there building similar rifles. Might be worth it if it comes out somewhere in the $3000 - $5000 price range and shoots at least MOA.

thanks for the input, and please send me more. i think the rifle will come in around the $4k price range but that should be a well appointed weapon system that is ready to deploy. there has to be enough interest in the weapon for it to be cost effective to build.