• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 lapua cartridge oal vs magazine

partisan1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2009
N. Pole, Alaska
I am shooting a 338 lapua using AI magazines. I find my oal is limited by my magazines 3.5" maximum. Once I drop a 300 grain bullet and 94gr of H1000 I am concerned that I will not be able to get an accurate load. I still need to break in the barrel, chrono the loads and of course measure the actual seating depth against the rifling. Really I guess my question is; what is the minimum oal with all the above?

Re: 338 lapua cartridge oal vs magazine

Find your OAL to lands. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">actual seating depth against the rifling</div></div>

Most people work back from there, they don't start with a minimal OAL and increase.

that is how I plan on checking my seating depth. I already know that the bullet is going to be deep in the brass due to the magazine. Is there a minimum oal? Even if I am safe is there a point where the bullet can't be pushed any deeper safely?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: partisan1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am shooting a 338 lapua using AI magazines. I find my oal is limited by my magazines 3.5" maximum. Once I drop a 300 grain bullet and 94gr of H1000 I am concerned that I will not be able to get an accurate load. I still need to break in the barrel, chrono the loads and of course measure the actual seating depth against the rifling. Really I guess my question is; what is the minimum oal with all the above? </div></div>

My AIAWSM has a mag length of 3.600" +/- slightly. I am sure my chamber length is longer. Haven't measured it yet. I just load mine to the max mag length and shoot. Don't have any problem with pressure or accuracy.