• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Lapua dies

DENAUS4

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2008
Australia
I am looking to buy some dies for my 338 Lapua. Just wondering what is been used and any suggestions as to what the best dies might be. I am reloading for target shooting.
Are the dies with interchangeable bushings worth the money?

Cheers Lachlan

Re: 338 Lapua dies

I go with Redding competition dies, I've had really good luck with them. Redding's customer service is as good as it gets also.

Good luck!

Reactions: kgall005

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Redding competition dies here as well. </div></div>

Same here

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Redding, and yes if "target shooting" the bushing die is the way to go. </div></div>

+1.
smile.gif

I've been looking on the Redding website and i can see a 4 die sets.
What one would be the best to get.
1. <span style="font-weight: bold">Type S match full</span> : Contains type S full size bushing die and competition seating die

2. <span style="font-weight: bold">Type S match neck:</span> Contains type S neck size bushing die, body die and competition seating die

3.<span style="font-weight: bold">Type S</span> : Contains type S neck size die , body die and standard seating die

4. <span style="font-weight: bold">Competition</span>: Contains competition bushing neck size die, body die and competition seating die.

How does a sizing button work do i need one? why does the last set not use a sizing button?
Also how does a body die work? I am a little confused.

Any help would be great
Cheers Lachlan

I use the #2 combo. I only use the body die (since I'm only shooting my 338 out of one rifle) to set the case shoulder back when required, this die DOES NOT size the neck. You will use the S bushing die for the neck, it works by reducing neck to the predetermined inside neck diameter you want, say you want .003 neck tension you determine size you need as follows: measure the thickness of the case neck with a caliper let's say it's .015, take that and multiply by 2= .030. Your bullet is .338 diameter since you want .003 neck tension subtract .003 from .338 ='s .335 now add .335 and .030='s= .365 that is the bushing size that will get you .003 neck tension. There will be brass 'spring back' also minute variations so I always purchase 2 ea larger and smaller. Your last question I don't know the answer too. Hope this helps.

Redding standard dies work fine also, I had redding make my lapua dies back when they had to custom make them back around 2002-2003. If I had to do it over again I would go the same route and get a custom bump die made also.

Agree with Mark S, #2. Its all you'll ever need.

Use the body die to bump the shoulder of the case back when you're bolt close starts to get stiff.(mine is every 4-5 firings)

Be sure to use case lube on the brass during this procedure.

second that ADAM will take care of everything for you
Redding bushing dies are the only way to go also hold resale value well comparedto non bushing dies.
Bill

Thanks For the replies guys, helps out heaps
Is it Adam at Bauer arms that has the dies?

Cheers Lachlan