• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Lapua Factory Ammo Questions

TwoNiner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
I need to stock some 338 lapua factory ammo before I start reloading for the cartridge and I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice. I'm looking to shoot the 300gr SMK and I've found so far that Federal, Norma and Black Hills make a round with this pill. Does anyone have velocity figures out of a 26" barrel? Federal reports 2580fps at the muzzle, Norma 2660fps, and Black Hills a quite "unbelievable" 2800fps. Which of these has the best reputation for accuracy? Also does Federal or Black Hills use Lapua Brass?

If you are going to shoot factory ammo try the 285 BTHP from Hornady. They shot very nicely and are only about $85 or less for 20 rounds. Look on gunbot for best pricing.

Lapua brass is the way to go, I understand you actually want to shoot while building your brass count but I wouldn't waste to much money going that route.ive stock piled about 2 years worth of lapua brass, you didn't say which stick you had but lapua usually works in all of them.iam still experimenting with loads so I can't help you there but you surely have the big boy rifle.if I had to pick one of your choices I'd go with black hills . expensive but it's seemed to be very accurate in my rifle, my barrel is a 28in Krieger #10 bull .

Last edited:
Why spend all the funds on factory ?? Buy the brass and components and save a ton of $$$ by rolling your own.

That's the plan but it will probably be another year or so before I have the time to set up a reloading station and start the assembly line, so to speak. I already have some lapua brass and sierra bullets too, dog'namit.

In the meanwhile I'd like to get to shootin', and need a good factory load that can emulate my planned homebrew load of 300SMK with 90gr of ramshot magnum.

For the record I'm running a custom built stick with a 26" Bart AMU barrel & deviant action.

Here is the approximate math for you:

If you were shooting 223/5.56*45 it takes roughly 500 rounds for the reloading gear to pay for itself.
If you were shooting 308/7.62*51 it takes roughly 300 rounds for the reloading gear to pay for itself.
If you were shooting 338.......*69 it takes roughly 130 rounds for the reloading gear to pay for itself.

So approximately six 20 round boxes pays for the reloading gear.

Call mile high shooting. They stock lapua ammo and take care of snipers hide members.

If you are going to shoot factory ammo try the 285 BTHP from Hornady. They shot very nicely and are only about $85 or less for 20 rounds. Look on gunbot for best pricing.

How is the Hornady brass for reloading? Reviews on midwayusa aren't very favorable.

Ok so after some digging it looks like the Federal GM .338 lapua 300 gr load uses Lapua brass. Does anyone have any velocity data on this round? I found a good deal on it so i may jump on it if the velocity figures are good. 2550 fps seems a bit low though.

I got 100 rounds of the Hornady 285's before i started reloading. When i did start reloading I was only able to get 5 reloadings before brass would not chamber. I now shoot LAPUA brass for my .338

ABM uses Lapua brass and Berger bullets.

We're getting 2725 fps with the 300 gr OTM tactical out of a 27" barrel.