• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 lapua guys. Please look.

Johnzor

Private
Minuteman
May 18, 2011
south east idaho
Purchased a TAC-338 action from the group buy.
I want to build my rifle on a AI-ax chassis.
Was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a barrel i need to buy. please feed me info on brands or anyone here that already owns a 338 lapua and loves their barrel.
This rig will be used mainly for long range hunting, and a little bit of target fun. I also will get a suppressor in the future. So bullet stability and twist rate will count.
i guess what im trying to ask is what twist rate do i need for a 300gr bullet and barrel length to make this build my ultimate dream gun and all around gun.
I know it will be hard to keep the weight light but what the hell, i have lighter guns if im going to be walking a lot.

any feed back will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
laugh.gif

Re: 338 lapua guys. Please look.

9.5 twist rate for the 300's. I went 26" for an all around gun. Wouldn't suggest any shorter. 26"-28" is about perfect. MTU contour heavy fluted. I went with bartlein and love it so far.

OP,
it wont work. Im sorry but I tried last December to make the stiller fit in an AICS ax 338 stock, and no dice, because of the shroud.
Sorry :T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunsmithcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OP,
it wont work. Im sorry but I tried last December to make the stiller fit in an AICS ax 338 stock, and no dice, because of the shroud.
Sorry :T </div></div>

I will have to look for another stock then.
Good looking out man.

Any suggestions on a stock? thanks

I used a Krieger heavy varmint at 28" finished length with a 9.35 twist. Works really well

Hard to go wrong with Krieger & Bartlein.

+1 on the 9.35T, pros and cons on barrel length.

In my case I go with shorter barrels and folding stocks for portability and ease of travel. The 300gr Berger's and H1000 are doing great.

Havn't tried the MCS-TF yet but definately will.

http://mannersstocks.com/

Best of luck on your build!

You can make it work in an AICS, cut a new slot for the recoil lug and make a filler for the old slot. 338's are the most over spun caliber I know of. Unless you're going to shoot subsonics I wouldn't go any faster than 1-10. A 1-11 will work just fine with 300's. Less torque can only help.

I would suggest the Hornady 285s over the 300s. Some mixed results with those, yet the 285s were rock solid out to 1500 on paper, and beyond on steel.

My TRG with 1:10 shoots the 300-gr Scenars and SMK's just fine. And for hunting bullets, you're not going to need a faster twist. With new bullets on the horizon, it may be an advantage to have a twist faster then 1:10, but you'll have to decide if you want a hunting rifle, or a long rang precision rifle before you commit on the barrel.

+1 for Bartlein barrels, but don't over look the Schneider barrels which are known to last, which you'll need with the 338LM. But then again, if it's a hunting only rig, the barrel should last you a lifetime.

Get the barrel fluted, it will reduce weight, and the barrel wil cool faster.

Get the barrel fluted, it will reduce weight, and the barrel wil cool faster.

it will also heat up faster and cause weird mirage
i doubt he would save one pound...yet he wants to put it in an aiax chasis...so weight of a pound????

flute it if you want it to look cool otherwise spend your money
on something else
26in barrel is plenty for hunting
i would also look into the new berger 250 as well as what lowlight said...this size bullet looks perfect to hunt with

if your going to make an internet only super duper long range wtf
then by all means get one with a ridiculous barrel length and twist rate to match. shoot only lathe turned bullets and make it weigh a ton...hahaha
nayway have fun with it...just stay focused on what you want to do with it, too easy to get sidetracked just so you can get another 100fps
BK

This is the information that I like to read.
1/11 tw and 300 grains work, so this will be my choice for my new project. Too bad that BAT dont produce one 338 repeater action with larger diameter.

The DTA 338 barrels are 1-10 twist and 26" long and threaded for a can. They work fine for 250, 285 or 300 gr Scenars too. So I would say 1-10 and 26" long is good to go.

I'd like to say that I've had the best results with the 300 grain SMK hunting animals. I love my 300 grain Bergers and the 285 Hornadys are nice as well but neither one of them will expand the way you need them to on an animal.

I shoot a 9.35 twist Krieger on my Surgeon Remedy but I'm sure that anything under 10 will be just fine.

Dustin Morris