• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

338 Lapua help.

swgunner

Private
Minuteman
May 8, 2010
Volusia County, Florida
I tried the search function, and could not quite find what I was looking for.

I am trying to compare and contrast the Barrett 98B, Tikka T3, and Accuracy International platforms.

Which has the best ergonomics?

Which is the easiest to maintain?

Which is the best financially?

Are there better options available?

Re: 338 Lapua help.

98 bravo is awesome! If you can,buy it!
wink.gif

Tikka doesnt make a 338 lapua. You can get a sako trg 42 however. Same company.

I have a Surgeon built .338, and have shot a TRG42. The surgeon weighs in at ~20 pounds or so. It is comfortable to shoot without a brake or supressor. The TRG is a thumper even with a sako brake due to the lighter weight.
The AI AW series weighs 15 pounds, The TRG weighs 12 pounds.
The barrett weighs 13.5 pounds with a 27" barrel and 12.4 with a 20" barrel.

Unless you plan on using the rifle to hike in and out of remote areas for hunting, I would look at the AI of the rifles you listed simply for ergonomic reasons, though Barrett evidently has good recoil reduction with their brake design and straightline design, I have no personal experience with them.

madd0c

My TRG-42 is pushing 18 pounds with the optics package, brake, bi-pod, and mono-pod. The 12 pounds Sako lists is just for the bare bones rifle, with no scope. rail, rings, or magazine.

R

Rman,
Don't get me wrong, I definitely think the TRG is a fine rifle. It shot very well, and very accurately, just was a definite different recoil impulse than mine. More of a quicker impulse than a shove.

madd0c

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madd0c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rman,
Don't get me wrong, I definitely think the TRG is a fine rifle. It shot very well, and very accurately, just was a definite different recoil impulse than mine. More of a quicker impulse than a shove.

madd0c </div></div>

FWIW: The Sako break basically blows. Richard Near makes one for the 338LM that makes it feel alot more like like 300WM.

I use the same one on my 300WM and it's got recoil similar to my AR with 77gr rounds.

(No kidding...)

Of course, the Sako claim to fame is that the break is asymetical.

I can't speak to the Barrett or Sako. I do have an AI AWSM in .338 LM and I am very happy with it. the AI platform does offer a lot of features including quick and easy barrel replacement. The AI two stage brake is very effective, the recoil is not bad at all. If you do some searching here you will find threads about all 3 rifles. Each has their good points. Here is a link to an excellent article Zak did comparing the Sako and AI a few years ago http://demigodllc.com/articles/military-338-lapua-rifles-trg42-awsm/

The Sako brake does blow, and I think it's only claim to fame is it's high price. I actually run a AR-30 brake on my Sako. Not pretty, but it works way better than the Sako one did.

R.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rman1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Sako brake does blow, and I think it's only claim to fame is it's high price. I actually run a AR-30 brake on my Sako. Not pretty, but it works way better than the Sako one did.

R. </div></div>

hey do you think you can post some pics of your ar30 brake mounted i would like to see what that looks like

Shoot me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send you some.

R.

FWIW: Re: Break Options... Rosedale Precision also appears to make decent breaks for the 338LM. The M1x18 for the TRG and the M1.5X18 for the AI. I've ordered both just for giggles.

I have both the Sako and the AIAW.I really enjoy shooting the AI,but my brother likes the ergonomics of the Sako. Both shoot great. If you get a chance to test fire each type you are interested in befor you buy, you would be able to see which one would fit you better. Some people don,t like the AI stock, I just happen to love shooting mine. Good luck with your decision.