• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 lapua horizontal impact movement

GOING FOR 2000

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2009
CA. ,ElDorado county.
Have run into a problem with my m-96 windrunner,.338 lapua barrel.

91.4 R-25, 250 Gn SMK, seated .060 off rifling.

Vertical impact is dead on horizintal will wander up to 3" left and right. Wondering if it is a muzzle brake problem. Brake has a id. of .504, 3 large ports on L & R sides.

Is it possible that gas going by the projectile is causing turbulence inside the Brake?

Wanted to attach a picture but can not figure out how.

Re: .338 lapua horizontal impact movement

100 yds trying to finish zeroing scope, est. cold bore corrections and finish breaking in barrel.

Est 50 rds for total break in. 35 rds down barrel at this time. bipod and monopod with sandbags to stop any lateral movement of rifle.

take the break off and shoot it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C.K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">take the break off and shoot it </div></div>

You sadist.

Dry fire and see if your reticle moves left or right...that could be a culprit.

Seriously doubt it would be your brake. Very, very easy way to take that out of the equation. Remove it, fire a couple more control groups (with a rear sissy bag if necessary). If it is your brake, the results will be immediate and obvious.

I'm betting something loose or even inside your scope. I have had one scope die in my adulthood. It was on a .338LM and I about had a nervous breakdown trying to diagnose my shitty shooting rifle until I changed scopes as a last resort.

My money is betting that your brake test will not resolve the problem. If not shooter induced, I would go after the optic next.

You were right about the scope, reticle is moving left and right.

About 3" of movement on dry firing with bore sighter locked in place. That would equal 60" at 2000 yds.

Talked with Horus they are replacing the scope.

Thanks

which model of Horus Vision scope is that you are having trouble with? When was it made?

Horus Falcon with H-37 recticle, Mfg Jan. 2009, on my M-96 Windrunner, 36 Rds down the barrel.

I have the same scope on my 700p-.308 that I use for 1000 yards, 3 years. No problems