• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 lapua improved 1/9 twist

stenger

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2009
western Pa
Anyone have any experience with 1/9 twist barrels and 300 gr. SMK, Scenar, or berger. I was just wondering if anyone has experience these bullets and that twist. What was your results? i dont want to over spin them, but want to be able to experiment with some of the new high BC bullets that require a fast twist

Re: 338 lapua improved 1/9 twist

Ive fired the SMK out of a 338/408 1-9 twist up to 3300. Accuracy is under 1/2 min.

1:9 twist is great for the 300gr lead bullets, it is not over spinning them and many people are now going for the 9-9.4 twists specifically for these and noticing better accuracy comapred with the 1:10. it gives you the added stability to get thru the transonic region at long range and it also allows you to experiment with the ultra high BC solids.

My 9.4 twist 338 Lapua shoots the 300SMK great!

i wanted to have the ability to shoot a proven 300 gr bullet and then experiment with other high bc bullets. my 338 lapua now has a 1/10 and it shoots lights out like .25 groups at 100 and i have shot 2.5 at 880. i am looking for the same accuracy i hope a 9 twist shoots the same.