• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Lapua - IMR 8133 & 285 ELD-M’s

BJames

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2014
Alaska
Hey all,

Since I’m more likely to find a pot of gold over N570, I’m looking at 8133 as a substitute.
Looking for experiences, not necessarily specific load data. Any one try this combo? What speeds have you seen if so?

Thanks!

Just use Retumbo in the 90-94 range (94 may be hot). I have 25# of n570 and I still use Retumbo for the 338 and save the "gold" for the Cheytac. Honestly, the Retumbo shoots better. n570 gets better velocity but is more temp sensitive, and I've found the 285s like the 2850-2900 velocity range anyway.

Hey all,

Since I’m more likely to find a pot of gold over N570, I’m looking at 8133 as a substitute.
Looking for experiences, not necessarily specific load data. Any one try this combo? What speeds have you seen if so?

Thanks!
I'm using 8133 with 300 gr Bergers in a 338 Allen Xpress. It is burning very near the same rate as RL33. I am loading 106 grains and getting 3150 fps out of a 36 inch barrel. It is very good so far with temp stability, I am seeing about 0.7fps per degree of ambient. It might be just a touch slow for the 285's but worth a try.

Thank you sirs. Wasn’t sure if I could get a 285 up to 2900 with Retumbo out of the Lapua case. Sounds like it won’t be an issue.

Thank you sirs. Wasn’t sure if I could get a 285 up to 2900 with Retumbo out of the Lapua case. Sounds like it won’t be an issue.
that's with a 32" barrel.
Hornady factory ammo has 94 grains of what appears to be retumbo in a hornady case with 2 grains more capacity and it was 2865 from a 26" DT factory barrel

Gotcha. These will be out of a 27” TRG, I’ll work it up and see what happens. The 338 Lapua is a new cartridge for me and after seeing what some friends are getting with that bullet and N570, had me full of hopes and dreams. I may have to settle for whatever I get out of 8133 and Retumbo. Thanks again