• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 Lapua Load Data

SlimSkeez71

SlimSkeez71
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2018
Muskogee, Oklahoma
Been load testing half a dozen calibers, my .338L in specific. I have a CBTO length of 2.995” I’ve been loading 300 grain ATips and want to try some 285grain ELDMs. Trying to get a good round to fit in a CIP length mag since I’ve been hand loading with ATips. but even after loading the ELDMs I’m only clearing the mag at 2.941” and I’m not sure if that’s reasonable?

I've loaded both these projectiles in my RPR. To reliably fit the magazine, the 285 gr. ELD-M is CBTO 2.910" with a jump of 0.080" to the lands. I tried several deeper seating depths (longer jump) and the group sizes were essentially the same. I seat to 2.90" for a jump of 0.090" because I don't want to single feed.

To reliably fit the magazine, the 300 gr. A-Tip is jumping 0.140". I tried several deeper seating depths but accuracy wasn't as good as the ELD-M, so that's what I'm using.

Either projectile can shoot good groups with a long jump, but it depends on the rifle and chamber dimensions. Go to the Berger Bullets website for some very educational papers on seating depth and jump. Well worth the read. You don't always have to be close to the lands.

Reactions: SlimSkeez71