• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 338 Lapua Load - Subsonic- Any leads?

TXCOWDOC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2010
Aggieland (College Station, TX)
I'm looking to develop a sub load for my 338 WBY Mag (338LM will serve as a reference). I've loaded up a 308 sub successfully with 11.1 grains of Trail Boss. Can anyone help with a starting point for the 338 LM?
Thanks
DOC

Re: 338 Lapua Load - Subsonic- Any leads?

only lead I would give is to stick with a 308 or if you have the desire to shoot larger bullets sub....then you could always build a 338 whisper or an even bigger 510 whisper. You could easily run into some serious problems trying to make a sub load for a huge case capacity round like the ones you mention.

I think you would need nearly double the charge to push a 200-300 grain bullet 1000 fps in the 338 compared to a 308. But I agree with dksd39 about using the 338 or 510 whisper. My 338 whisper has a 1-8 twist which if probably barely adequate for the 300 grain hpbt bullets. If your rifle has a 1-10 twist, then I think it would be ok for up to 200 grains.

Ranb

I am successfully shooting a Corbon manufactured SUBSONIC load in my 338 Lapua build. Its freakishly quiet and is pretty accurate out to 100 yards. The off the shelf stuff is never as good as what you can load yourself but hey, its for entertainment really. I don't find subsonic good for much other then saying oh look how quiet my gun CAN be. The 308 stuff I bought from EBR barely makes it 75 yards before it plummets. I set up all my 308 rifles with a 100 yard zero. I have to give the equivalent amount of elevation for a 600 yard shot to hit paper at 75 yards! Thats just silly.......

Call Corbon and ask them for specs on their load.

corbon!

Hey guys we Offer a .338 Lapua Subsonic load at 1000FPS out of a 27.0in BBl. I sent some to SOCOM to test and they say on ave they were getting 1.1 MOA out to 700 Meters.

Here are the specs:

COR-BON AMMO .338 Lapua 300gr BTHP PT# (338S300/20)

Test Rifle: APA built on a Badger action with a 27.0 BBl Broughton 1in9.4 twist Surefire 338 can.I also have a 23in BBL for it and the AVE VEl is around 985FPS.

Case: .338 Lapua (LAPUA)
Bullet:Lapua Scenar.
Powder:N/A.
Primer:N/A.
OAL:3.620. (max OAL for AI mags)
AVE VEL:1000fps.
AVE ES:32fps.

I hope this will help answer some questions.

Thanks Pete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GHOSTRECON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Case: .338 Lapua (LAPUA)
Bullet:Lapua Scenar.
Powder:N/A.
Primer:N/A.
OAL:3.620. (max OAL for AI mags)
AVE VEL:1000fps.
AVE ES:32fps.

I hope this will help answer some questions.

Thanks Pete</div></div>

It's the <span style="text-decoration: underline">Powder: N/A</span> part I was hoping to see!

I will be using a 340 WBY (similar to the 338 LM) so I can't go out and buy their product. Or I Would!)
Doc

Sorry the powders we use are my own blends. I would look in the Sierra Reloading book they always offer match loads for the stuff they list. Subsonic wize on the 340 wea mag is a good question??

Pete

No matter what load data you get, you will need to test it over a chronograph to ensure it is subsonic but not so slow it drops like a rock at 50 yards.

Ranb

I have rec'd a couple of leads and once my dies and 300 grain bergers get here, I'll get to work. I'll let you what kind of results I have.
Thanks
TX COWDOC

check out IMR Trail Boss ( Trail Boss ). It is made for reduced charges in all calibers including magnums. I just used to to make some 223 subsonic loads.

Re: 338 Lapua Load - Subsonic- Any leads- UPDATE

Well- I've got some results.
Recall I was looking for a 338LM sub load to compare to so I could work up a 340 Weatherby Mag load. So far so good:
TEMP: 78 F, RH 65%, 29.82, ALT 300 Feet
Rifle: Weatherby Accumark 340 WBY MAG 26"
Brass: Weatherby 340 WBY Mag
Primer: FED 210
Powder: Trailboss
COAL: 3.715
Bullet: Nosler Accubond 225gr
Start: 21 grains MV 1425fps
20 grains MV 1276
19 Grains MV 1211, 1191, 1206
18.5 Grains MV 1149, 1144
18 Grains MV 1142, 1115, 1118
NO KEY HOLE on NOSLER AB
287hw9g.jpg

NEXT BULLET: Berger 300 grain Hybrid COAL 3.715
23 Grains MV 1236
22 Grains 1182
21 Grains 1140
MAJOR KEY HOLE
14adkrt.jpg

I'll post more results later-
Thanks to all for your input-
TX COWDOC

Re: 338 Lapua Load - Subsonic- Any leads- UPDATE

VihtaVuori N310 is commonly used in various SS loads.

What makes 338 Lapua and similar tricky is huge empty space inside case.

Besides being potential cause for big MV variation (charge position inside case), it can be very dangerous as well.

If primer doesn't ignite powder evenly, in worst case powder may detonate instead of constant burning. Common theory for this is that charge starts to smolder due to inadequate priming.
And if it does, pressures WILL go sky-high -believe or not.
Despiting tiny charge, it can be more what case or even action can handle. It has happened.
Basically, risk gets bigger with slower powders. (when case is almost empty)

For these two reasons, it would be smart to fill empty space inside case with something- just to keep powder packed near primer for ensuring good even priming. Some also drill flash hole bigger for same reason.

Keep your goggles on -and if you find a good load - we are all ears here
smile.gif
Better safe than sorry huh?

P.S.
You might want to try molycoated bullets. Small differences in barrel friction cause MV variation, and it emphasizes with subsonic loads.