• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .338 lapua load work up 285 hornady/h-1000

natesguns

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2008
Missouri
Load 285 hornady match botail over 90 grains of H-1000 in new lapua brass and fed 215 primers. Seated to mag length (CIP mag) Results were very promising with the first 2 shots in the same hole but low. Dialed the .5 mils needed to put me on center and shot 3 shots just under an inch. Let the gun cool for about 20 min. and shot 5 more with the first 2 touching but .2 mils low and the next 3 all in the x ring and all touching. I'm saying it'll be a very solid 3/4 moa load, I'm sitll getting used to the larger caliber.

Outside conditions- 35 deg, 89% humidity and 29.85in pressure. I didn't have any sticky bolt lift but the primer showed very very minor signs of pressure. This load may be a bit hot when it gets warmer.

Gun- Badger Ordanace M2008. 1/9.5 twist 26" barrel

Sorry no Velocity, numbers show 2800+ on ballistics program. No chrono to back it up. Coming soon.

I run 92 grains of H1000 with everything else the same as you and and get about 2830 FPS according to actual drop out to 2K yards. This last lot of H1000 seems to be a little slower with 92 grains getting me right at 2800 according to actual drop out to 1600. The 285 is a great bullet that does very well for the price.

Varmint slayer, what was your dialed dope at 1600 out to about 1750 if you've got it. Plannin on trying the mile shot as soon as I get the time. I also have some 300 grain bergers that show potential as well. With the twist rate of my barrel being as fast as it is I'd like to actually shoot the heaver bullet, but it's hard to fix something that's not broken.

Extended range results coming as soon.

1760 yards

61.5 MOA up
1 MOA right wind hold (basically dead calm)
285 grain Hornady HPBT @ 2830 FPS
Staion Pressure - 25.12
Temp - 51
Humidity - %38
Ranged with Vectronix PLRF

That's the only data I have with me. Have to dig my book up to get more info but the data matched up pretty good with actual drops with Ballistic IPhone app.

I just started working on load development with the 285gr BTHP and per Hornadys data 89grs of H-1000 was the maxs. Very strange at 88grs the gun and cases showed no pressure signs, I am currently loading up to increment steps to see if it is possible to get past 89grs. I was not shooting for accuracy when I was testing them I was checking for pressure. Hell that day I could not have hit the broadside of a barn, I was shaking so bad from caffinated coffee, which I dont drink it was suppose to be decaf. Using Nosler Accubond 250gr bullets were showing pressure when I started getting close to max load.

I'm at 92 grains of H1000 in Lapua cases. No real pressure signs. It's getting close but still very doable.

Varmint Slayer let us know where you land on your final load for accuracy and pressure. I am going to finish reloading this weekend and see if I can get out to the range to see how the workup is for pressure. If all is good, next will be the chrono and accuracy loading.

Varmint Slayer let us know where you land on your final load for accuracy and pressure. I am going to finish reloading this weekend and see if I can get out to the range to see how the workup is for pressure. If all is good, next will be the chrono and accuracy loading.

That is my final charge weight. It's close to pressure but still a little room to play.

Well today was a good day, I made it to 89.1 grains of H1000 which was over the 89 grains max load set by Hornady reloading data with no pressure signs. My MLR loved shooting the 285 grain Hornady BTHP and this was the group with 89.1 grains.

Nice! I havent had a chance to find the max yet but I have noticed good success at 85.2grs of H1000 under a 285gr HPBT hornady Match in a Lapua Case with a Remington 9 1/2 Large Rifle Magnum Primer.

Im gonna try get proficient with this load which is 5 percent under book max and then maybe work up a bit. But hey, if it works good maybe I wont, right?!

I've just started with a Savage 110 fcp in 338 Lapua. I'm using lapua brass 285 Hornady Amax, .015 off the lands at 3.760", & H1000. I took it up to 92gr at 54 degrees 1300 elevation, & 28.54 Baro with 26' barrel with some very slight marking on the brass, Extractor ring was slightly visable with the primer still looking good. I'd call this max especially in warmer temperatures. I backed down to 91 grains & shot for dope at 500 & 800 yds which came out to be 2850fps. I was wanting at least 2800 so I loaded 5 more at 90gr & 5 at 90.3gr of H1000. I'm going to start shooting for groups now the next calm day, so far it looks very promising.

Here is a velocity workup I did with the 285 ELD-Ms at 70deg F using H1000, COAL loaded long at 3.755.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200704-113355.jpg
    Screenshot_20200704-113355.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 254
92.5grs of H1000 and a 285gr ELDM or 300gr SMK in Lapua or Peterson brass works real well in standard 10 twist TRG's. If you have access to any Ramshot LRT powder you might want to give it a try as you can up the velocity a bit with similar pressures.
EJ