• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 lapua loads

Varmint man

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2014
Hey guys, new to the site. Looking for info on the 338 lapua mag, ended up with one through a trade, never had issues with any other caliber from 22 hornet- 300 mag and most In between ! Yet this lapua seems to be the hardest to find info on! Most books I have for reloading don't even have numbers for it! Fired a few factory rounds and kinda fell in love! But at 6$ a shot the only clear option is hand loads. With the powder shortage in my area I've managed to find h1000 and imr 7828. Leads are 250gr accubond by nosler and 200gr sst by hornady. Does anybody have info lining up with these combinations?? Mostly on the 200gr. Want to turn this rig into a hunting rifle. Can't see the need for a 300gr hp for anything in Alberta at under 1000 yards!

First off welcome to the Hide. Unfortunately I have zero info on the 338 but if you go to the Reloading Depot there is a thread stickied on 338-.50 cal rifles. I don't have anything that size so haven't really read through it but I glanced through it and a lot seems to be for the 338. There is 5 pages so I imagine there should be something to help you out but if not that would be the ideal place to post your question to get the most response. There's a ton of info and experience here and once you figure out how to work the site and where to post your questions there's not much that you can't get help with from someone on here.

Thanks for the reply! I've toured and read a lot of that forum, most people shoot heavy leads. 250-300gr guess that's what the calibre is made for.... To me pulling shots over 1000 yards is not only very seldom to find in my area, but not humane when hunting. So really 200 gr is all ill ever need. Maybe I should just sell it and stick to my 300!