• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 Lapua Magnum Ammunition Federal vs Hornady vs Lapua

Relja

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2021
Canada
Hello All,

I will be doing my first ELR shooting upto 2600 metres (precious furthest distance was 600 yards).

I have a DTA SRSA2 in 338 lapua magnum with an era-tac inclination mount and ZCO 527.

I am just about to purchase some ammo and was originally going to grab some factory Lapua .338, I was advised to go 300 grain instead of 250 for the Lapua.

I wanted to check if it was best to go with the Lapua factory or should I go Federal premium with 300 grain Bergers (factory load) or even 285grain Hornady BTHP (factory load).

Sadly, I do not have the time to reload the quantity that I require for this course.

Any help is appreciated.

If you can find the Berger factory ammo with 300 grain OTM, that's the best performing factory ammo I've seen. In both of my 338LMs, it produced lowest SD and ES for factory ammo. Also has better BC than Lapua Scenars. Fair price too. Uses Lapua brass.

Lapua, Federal then Hornady is the way I would go. I reload and when I shoot my 338lm at matches i shoot Berger 300's.

Not a class local ELR match. Target were approx 1680, 2100, 2650 yards. The target were 40x40 and I had hits on all 3 targets. If you are looking for a class Gun Site in AZ is a good place to start..

Reactions: a38super
Definitely the 338 Edge. Not even in the same class as the 300 PRC despite what Hornady's adds say. If your going out to 2500 yards, a 300 grain bullet is a better choice than anything 200 in the 30 caliber.

Reactions: camotoe
Definitely the 338 Edge. Not even in the same class as the 300 PRC despite what Hornady's adds say. If your going out to 2500 yards, a 300 grain bullet is a better choice than anything 200 in the 30 caliber.
376FCE5D-96FE-4432-9916-2EB4CEF6E080.gif

Sorry, if its DUMB question:
338 lapua and 338lapua magnum are same round? (I'm new to ELR shooting).
Thanks for any information and training me...

Berger factory 300 grain OTM had an SD of 7 fps and 2750fps average velocity in my 29" barrel. I'd go with Berger factory or Lapua ammo. They should be the most consistent. 300 grains for the splash and spotting.