• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Lapua Magnum beginner reloading

JD7711

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2023
Tennessee
Beginner reloading, I’m measuring powder for my 338 Lapua Magnum and the Lee pacesetter die insert calls for 2 scoops of powder with a 3.1 scoop but doing the calculations for the lee perfect powder dispenser and measuring on a scale has me adding more powder than two scoops. This is the starting volumn meant for the rounds I’m loading so I’m not sure if I’m over reading into this but I don’t won’t to overload coming out of the gate. I feel like the digital scale is going to be more accurate just don’t want to over pressure the rounds. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the beginner ignorance!

• Wow
Reactions: secondofangle2
Sir, please get a triple beam and be forever safe faster and precise every throw, plus single digit SDs are nice.
Rel 33 @ 96.9 Mag length Hunt Rounds
Sierra 300 Widen Pointed
Vel- 2787
Lapua Brass Only
Savage Hunter with a AAC QD Titanium Bark controller up front.

I do have an electronic scale but was comparing the volumn between the two and decided to check with the pros thanks
No worries got to have a thick skin at times. Believe me that much powder would want an electronic scale. What is your starting load, bullets, brass, and primers.

1701728148874.jpeg

There is so many videos out there on reloading watch a couple.
Absolutely no one would advise you to use those scoops as a legitimate way to measure powder. Maybe for like pistol ammo or something but even then just get a powder dumper.

Honestly it doesn't hurt to try and find someone who reloads to help you learn. I've got a buddy who I've been helping reload, He's at the point I just sit back and watch and if he's gonna make a mistake I intervene.

put in just enough that when you shake it, you can hear powder inside after the bullet is seated

• Haha
Reactions: flysolo
Kirby Allen said somewhere that if your load requires Lapua brass to not show pressure, it is over pressure.

He actually suggests using inferior brass for pressure testing

91 grains of 1000 is a lot of flame behind a 300 green bullet

Yes, and probably overpressure. Just for others who might try to use this load. PSA

Jesus Christ, this guy was about to load 338lm on Lee dies with the yellow scoop
Hey now, I used to do that! Lee Scoops into an RCBS beam scale...trickle each kernel by hand. It worked, but was slow AF.

Reactions: st1650
Can be done !
Everyone has to start somewhere !
Still have my RCBS 10-10 scales from 1973 in case the power goes out. It’s my trust back up !
Always use a scale electronic digital or manual don’t rely on the Lee Dipper by volume. Weight your powder !
Ya got me beat, my 5-10 is from 1977. :)
I'll admit it hasn't been used in a very loooong time.

I just started reloading .338 LM and I use a beam scale, lee precision dispenser and a yellow scoop. Yes it is slow but I am retired and have plenty of time.

Beginner reloading, I’m measuring powder for my 338 Lapua Magnum and the Lee pacesetter die insert calls for 2 scoops of powder with a 3.1 scoop but doing the calculations for the lee perfect powder dispenser and measuring on a scale has me adding more powder than two scoops. This is the starting volumn meant for the rounds I’m loading so I’m not sure if I’m over reading into this but I don’t won’t to overload coming out of the gate. I feel like the digital scale is going to be more accurate just don’t want to over pressure the rounds. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the beginner ignorance!
Lee scoops are fine just knowing your totals and compare as you have. What pill did you end up going with powder and charge weight?