• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Lapua Magnum Custom Build

pmcguire

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2014
New Hampshire
Hello Sniper's Hide

I am fairly new to the Sniper's Hide so bare with me. I have been shooting since I was in the Corps back in 1975. Throughout the years I have had several firearms and enjoyed every one for there specific purpose. For a long time I have always wanted to build my own custom built rifle. I am now in the position to do this and the rifle I am building is a .338 Lapua Magnum. As I said I wanted to build my own and by this I mean I will be doing everything myself including machining the barrel. I am not a machinist by trade but I do know my way around a machine shop and I have my own Lathe and Mill so the machining work will be no problem. Over the last year I have read and watched numerous article and videos on chambering, threading and crowning the barrel so I have a fairly good understanding on what and how to do this. I also have all the tools and jigs to do barrel and action work.

For this build I will be using the following:

Action: Deviant SS from Defiance Machine
Barrel: #10 Heavy Bull SS w/ 1:9.35 Twist from Krieger
Bottom Metal: .338 Lapua CIP Detach Mag w/ 5 Round Mag from Pacific Tool & Guage
Stock: Adjustable A-TH w/ Spacer System, Adj. Clamp Bar Cheek Rest, 3 Studs (2 frt., 1 rear) and 2 Flush
Mount Cups on Left Side From McMillan
Trigger: Timney Remington 700 w/ Saftey from Timney Triggers
Muzzle Brake: FatBastard from APA

I just ordered everything and the Action will not be here for 7 months and the Barrel & Stock will be 6 months. So I have plenty of time to make my final decisions and that is why I am seek out help from the experts here on Snipers Hide. I just have a couple of questions.

As I stated above, I am going to use the APA FatBastard and they come in 5/8 x 24 and 3/4 x 24. The muzzle of my barrel is .930 so my question is, should I use the 5/8 or the 3/4?

The other question I have is once I am finished, what type of finish should I put on everything? Should I just Hot Blue it, Parkerize, Duracoat or Cerakote it? Or is there some other type of coating. This will be used in the field, not just at a range so it will be subjected to all elements.

I think I have covered everything but if I have left something out, please feel free to let me know. I look forward to hearing your advise and opinions.

Cerakote would be my recommendation.
you could also look at Melonite, Ion Bond, and Birdsong. but that will take same research as to what would suit your needs best.

Cerakote is simple, straight forward and offers as man color combinations as you can imagine

Since you are .930 at the muzzle go with the 3/4 thread.

It is significantly easier to do cerakote or gun kote then park or blue. The deviant action is stainless with a steel bolt so you couldn't blue it anyway. You can make your own oven to cure the finish out of an old locker. Pretty much every car guy in the world has a good blast cabinet so you should be able to find one if you don't own one.

You may want to post some questions in the gunsmithing section. They are very helpful over there.

For .93" muzzle , I would suggest to go with 3/4-24 or 3/4-28 depend on your choice.