• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 Lapua Molds?

ddku22

Private
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2008
Texas
I'm looking for the .338 Lapua mold, or more making sure that they exist. I'm getting together the parts to build a the M40 sniper and apparently they change the bullet to this Lapua fromt he .308. If there is a mold for this bullet, then I was going to do the same. If not, however, I was going to stick with the .308. So, if they exist, how much do they run for if you know? Thanks guys.

Re: .338 Lapua Molds?

You mean a cast bullet mould? Yes, you can get 338 bullet moulds, if you want a custom one you can call Lee and have them make it for you in any dimension you want.

I'm not sure that's what you're asking though.

First the M40 is still 308 no change there your information is incorrect.Second a lead bullet out of a 338 lapua would be lets say.....of limited use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First the M40 is still 308 no change there your information is incorrect.Second a lead bullet out of a 338 lapua would be lets say.....of limited use. </div></div>

That's what I didn't undestand, why someone would shoot a 338LM with cast unless they're doing it to just "plink" and save money.

I do that with almost everything, but I don't own anything bigger than 30-06.

As an academic exercise it would be possible to make a flat based spire point with a gas check, about 400 grains and hard hard lead alloy would allow you to shoot around 2400 fps. It has some usefulness I suppose.

Save money is my main goal here, I don't want to spend $100 a box or whatever it would cost to get these guys just to shoot at the range, but I'll happily do that to go hunting with. If you think that is a waste or that I really woulnd't get near the performance out of it, then I wouldn't do that at all I suppose.

dmg308, I was watching a program on the Military channel and the guy presenting the M40 had said they made the change (or so I thought). If they really didn't then I've made a mistake and will be keeping the .308. Of course from what I can tell it's easier to find .308 anyway so I might go ahead and stay with it.