• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 Lapua Newbie

alexzeph142

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2010
What is the best way to start off with the .338 in terms of a new rifle/chamber and the worst part, ammo prices? Buy some Lapua brass and reload? If so, what items do you purchase to achieve match grade rounds that are reloaded?

Re: .338 Lapua Newbie

Relying on factory ammo is going to make your rifle chambered for $5 bills. Making hand loads is definitely the way to go, however if you have no experience with reloading then I highly suggest you get help from a buddy that does or take an NRA Metallic Reloading course.

The equipment you're going to need varies but expect to spend anywhere from $800-2000 depending on what you get.

I am just starting out with the 338. I bought 20 rounds of hornady 250gr and 20 rounds of tap 250gr. I also bought 100 pc lapua brass, rl25, primers and 100 pcs of 300gr scenars to reload. Still waiting to get my scope and rings before I can shoot it. I bought the 40 rounds both to setup the rifle and see how they perform. Then i can work on the reloads. It also give me 40 extra pcs of brass to reload.

For reloading, its not as expensive as you might think.
Start off with a reloading press, preferably a "Turret" type press.
The Turret holds multiple reloading dies in the turret.
You can find an inexpensive Press here -> Turret Press

For a .338 you will of course need .338 reloading dies, depending on which brand you buy. Here is a set of .338 dies at a reasonable price. .338 Lapau Mag Die Set

Of course if you want high quality reloading equipment, the price is high.
Its good to start off small, and work your way up. Reloading is a precise task, so I hope you have patience.

Also, it does matter the type of brass you use, and how well its been made.
Same goes for fast/slow burning powders.
Reloading is great, because you can save money AND make the perfect round for your rifle.

I strongly disagree with the turret press. I've loaded over 5K rounds of 338LM-all with a RCBS single stage press.

Redding dies are more expensive but a better buy in the long run. The 338LM is not hard to load.It does have a voracious appetite for powder-figure 80-95 grains EACH round depending on the powder.

Lapua brass is without peer. Period. I have brass with 20 or more loadings without doing anything but trimming to length.

Depending on what twist your barrel has will determine what bullet you choose-as well if the gun is for target or hunting use. And contrary to belief-barrel life is quite good.

There are plenty of loads listed on this site. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mean And Unseen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Start off with a reloading press, preferably a "Turret" type press.</div></div>

Sorry mate, bad advise!!

.338LM is not a progressive press game. You will need a robust single stage press (Rockchucker Supreme, etc.)for full length sizing. You want to approach this round from a precision not volume reloading perspective. I use a Lee progressive to reload .45ACP and it is marginal for that application, at best.

Thing is I have a Rock Chucker myself, I was only suggesting a turret press for the inexpensive and first time reloading use.

I use RCBS and Hornady reloading products.
And of course Lee wadcutter molds.

Wasn't sure if money was an issue, but now that I think about it, he did purchase a .338 lapau....

I make all my bullets with pure lead, as jacketed ammo reduces the life of your barrel.

Sorry to have upset you wise men lol.
Cheers

We're not upset. We load .338LM and not just read about it. No worries.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mean And Unseen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I make all my bullets with pure lead, as jacketed ammo reduces the life of your barrel.</div></div>

You're a wealth of scientific advise.
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mean And Unseen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I make all my bullets with pure lead, as jacketed ammo reduces the life of your barrel.</div></div>

You're a wealth of scientific advise.
crazy.gif
</div></div>

HeHe... Good response! I'd like to see what a "pure lead" bullet looks like coming out of a .338 Lapua!!! Even with a gas-check! Probably sprays out!
eek.gif

90 grains of RE25 behind 250 grains of pure lead...
sounds like a picnic to me
laugh.gif

I've never reloaded a .338 so I wouldn't know if a lead bullet would hold up or not.

What I meant by "Pure lead" was the fact I go to local tire shops, and they give me all their lead balancing weights by the crate full. In this case there are impurities in the weights when I melt them down. Taking all the crap outta the melted lead I thusly have pure lead.

I load 300 Gr 458 Win Mag out of Lead Casts, I dont have a "spray out" of lead. But then again im not shooting at 3000 ft/s

Im Glad im at-least able to amuse you Dave,
wink.gif

Cheers.

That lead would be a hot mess! At least you know you will get good expansion out of the bullet! lol In other words, it would look like the ending to a dirty movie!

Point is... Pure lead is too soft to make a bullet out of it. It has to be mixed with something else to harden it up a little. If you can take one of your lead bullets and scrape some off with your thumb-nail, it's WAY too soft! Especially to be coming out of a .338 Lapua. It would come out and almost immediatly come apart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I strongly disagree with the turret press. I've loaded over 5K rounds of 338LM-all with a RCBS single stage press.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mean And Unseen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Start off with a reloading press, preferably a "Turret" type press.</div></div>

Sorry mate, bad advise!!

.338LM is not a progressive press game. You will need a robust single stage press (Rockchucker Supreme, etc.)for full length sizing. You want to approach this round from a precision not volume reloading perspective. I use a Lee progressive to reload .45ACP and it is marginal for that application, at best. </div></div>

Are you also lumping hte T-7 in as a "turret" press?

Chiller,
I personally would not progressive load .338LM with anybody's press (including Dillon). The post I was responding to specifically referenced the low end Lee which is grossly inadequate. I don't mind taking my time when loading these rounds. I'm not looking to set speed records in reloading.
smile.gif