• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 lapua reloading equipment info needed

herren2006

Skin that Smoke Wagon
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2010
alabama
I havent been on here for a while now but getting ready for a new build to me. Im wanting to start some reloading for all 3 rifles I have. My newest build will be a 338 lapua and I would like to know what recommendations your expertise would recommend me. Thanks in advance!

Well what length 338 and twist? What ranges are you planning to shoot? Are you planning to take game with it? So many variables you left open the skys the limit here.

Well what length 338 and twist? What ranges are you planning to shoot? Are you planning to take game with it? So many variables you left open the skys the limit here.
[

Sorry i didnt specify. it will be a 26inch 1:10 twist barrel. no hunting only range specific. hopefully to 1000 and occasionally 1500 if i get the chance. currently working on getting up permission from a landowner to shoot almost 1500yds. thanks for the reply

I regularly shoot to a mile and further with my 338. I prefer 300gr smk's for shooting over 1k yards. I have had great results with either H1000 or Retumbo. My best nodes were 89 H1000 and 92 grains of Retumbo. I think I was getting 2750 and 2815 respectively out of a 26" 1/10 tube. Lapua brass hands down all day and can easily make over 15 reloads if you are not being dumb with the pressure. I like 250 gr smk's for shorter distance work and when I am feeling an itch to smoke a coyote with my 338 its usually with one my 250 smk loads just because its a tad flatter in the distances I usually hunt dogs. Either bullet can do a mile depending on how fast you can push the 250's. As usual, work up your loads to find where your pressure signs start in your action.

Reactions: herren2006
I regularly shoot to a mile and further with my 338. I prefer 300gr smk's for shooting over 1k yards. I have had great results with either H1000 or Retumbo. My best nodes were 89 H1000 and 92 grains of Retumbo. I think I was getting 2750 and 2815 respectively out of a 26" 1/10 tube. Lapua brass hands down all day and can easily make over 15 reloads if you are not being dumb with the pressure. I like 250 gr smk's for shorter distance work and when I am feeling an itch to smoke a coyote with my 338 its usually with one my 250 smk loads just because its a tad flatter in the distances I usually hunt dogs. Either bullet can do a mile depending on how fast you can push the 250's. As usual, work up your loads to find where your pressure signs start in your action.

Awesome info! I like to stay on the conservative side so i will try to work up my momentum. I was just looking at the Lapua brass and the reviews so im sure thats the way i will go.

On a side note we like to hunt dogs here too since deer hunting is relatively bad and really high pressured so to speak. we were watching some doggy decoying on youtube which i found was very interesting. Thanks again for the help!

Awesome info! I like to stay on the conservative side so i will try to work up my momentum. I was just looking at the Lapua brass and the reviews so im sure thats the way i will go.

On a side note we like to hunt dogs here too since deer hunting is relatively bad and really high pressured so to speak. we were watching some doggy decoying on youtube which i found was very interesting. Thanks again for the help!

Peterson brass, just as good as Lapua, or better. Berger 300 gr, Ramshot magnum, Federal 215M primers. Just my 3 cents

@Huskydriver : have you hunted any larger game with it, larger than coyotes that is? I'm thinking about putting one together for deer/elk and was interested in whether you had some input on bullets, etc. I guess one of my big concerns would be recoil. I like being able to spot my shots when hunting and I'm able to do that effectively with my 300WM, using 230 OTM Tac.

Sorry I dont hunt anything but yotes and steel :). I shoot 100% suppressed and I sold my 26" 338LM and now rock an axmc 338LM that weighs 18lbs loaded with a 20" barrel so my idea of a 338's recoil is probably very skewed against guys who have dedicated hunting 338 LMs.

I have found I actually prefer the 20" barrel for what I do and imagine it would be a much better suited length if you were to hunt with a 338LM. Still tons of energy at 1k but a tad more portable. If long range target shooting is what your after I would probably stick with a 24 or 26.