• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Lapua Remington, Weatherby, or Savage?

leroyZjenkins

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2011
I've been looking at several bolt action .338 LM for long range hunting and maybe some benchrest on the farm (not competition) Trying to keep it below $3000. I'm torn between Remington's 700 Target Tactical, Weatherby's Mark V TRR, and Savage's 110 FCP HS Precision models.

To my knowledge all 3 are well bedded, free floated, and of good quality.

Anybody got any feedback or input?

Throw out other names or models if you have any experience in .338 LM... Going for clean lines and a sturdy frame... adjustable cheek piece is a plus... rails or mounts are a turnoff.

Re: 338 Lapua Remington, Weatherby, or Savage?

I have a Savage 338 Win Mag it's the 116 bear hunter. Ballistics are close to that of the Lapua Mag but about 4 bucks a round cheaper this is what sold me. The rifle hold groups at 300 yds. that are a clover leaf this is as far as I have shot the rifle so far but by next summer I Hope to have shot targets at 1 mile plus.

I would go a different route and just get a Sako TRG-42. What I do not like about the HS stocks is the low cheek weld that they offer. Works fine with a 30mm scope and 0 MOA base, however if you are looking for some 34mm optics and a 20-30 MOA base you are going to need a cheek riser of some sort. Not a big deal but I would rather get something that will work for me out of the box like the sako trg. You shouldn't cheap out on a .338 lapua as it is one of the higher tiers in ammo costs and reloading. I have just as much invested in reloading components and equipment for the .338 as I do in the rifle.

Another option would be the Savage 110BA that would be my lower cost choice.(Good trigger, Chassis, and adjustable stock)

Just my 2 cents

Good Stuff!

@ Rez - I reload about 4 other calibers so I'm gonna definately do it for .338. I think i can get it down to about 2.50 per round which should be worth the extra FPS i get with Lapua Mag rather than Winchester Mag but I'm gonna run the numbers and see how cheep i can reload the win mag b/c ur right they are the same bullet just lapua is a little faster (around 300 fps on average) and alot more expensive.

@ Franky - I've never shot anything with an HS stock but the pictures seem to agree with your comment... The sakos I'm finding online are about 3500 bucks which is a little more expensive than weatherby and remington. i dont know much about sako but i own a weatherby and remington... is this rifle actually worth another 800 bucks. I dont mind paying for quality... to a certain extent...

you'll be hard pressed to keep it under $3K with glass. If you had to keep that budget line, I'd go Rem 700 Police 338LM, with Badger 20MOA base, Harris bipod, (just sold this exact config for $1300... would have been a good deal for you), a cheek sleeve (not sure what they call it) to raise the cheek weld, and then another $1500-2000 for a Leupold 8.5-25X Mk IV. Plus some badger rings.

not including glass... 3k budget for just the rifle... but that 700 police sounds nice!

I found it quite accurate. My Rem 700 Police 308 shoots so well out of the box, I can't help but suspect you have good probability of a 338LM Police shooting just as well out of the box. I have no experience with the Savage etc...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leroyZjenkins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not including glass... 3k budget for just the rifle... but that 700 police sounds nice! </div></div>

As well as my Savages have served me with that budget for the rifle you can find a used TRG42 in the for sale section here with a little bit of patience. Just make sure you have glass of sufficient quality that it does not become your limiting factor, the 338LM will reach far beyond what you can see clearly with budget glass.

eta: Call Stacey at Mile High Shooting Acc 1-877-871-9990 and tell him what you are looking for, he can help steer you in the right direction.

yep, and you want that zero to be rock solid, and the elevation knobs to give you exactly the same adjustments every time. Otherwise it's all a waste of expensive ammo. Out at a mile, everything has to be really clicking consistently as possible.

for that kind of money...... i would go with the savage hs fcp. The reviews and accuracy testings have all been in it's favor over the remmy. Yes the stock isn't best for cheek placement but it's a solid foundation. It has an honest 26" barrel to aid with velocity over remmy's idea of total barrel length being advertised (including break) and with a floating bolt you never have to send the action off to get blueprinted/trued. As far as reloading goes..... if you keep your loads at a moderate level you should be able to get around 10 loads from lapua brass (some folks get a lot more than that!) because their brass is so "over built". Factor that in and you would be just over buck and change per round. just my .02

im not saying i have to spend 3k... that's just my max so i have some $$ left for optics b/c i agree with you that glass will be the lim fac with .338 lapua mag.

im leaning toward the Weatherby Mk 4 TRR Custom now.

Check it out on Able Ammo for $2240

anybody ever shoot one of these?

Give me another month and I will let you know if my $1800 Savage BA 110 was a deal or not. At the time, 2 months ago I could pick up a new TRG 42 for about 3k without a brake or rail. Those items would add about $500 to the package. The accuracy of my BA is there, but I am having problems with pressure as noted in this thread!! HELP!! LOL http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2903244&gonew=1#UNREAD

diego

If you shop around you can pick up a new TRG-42 in the Low 2000s. I recommend eurooptic.com I bet if you call Alex he might even sweeten the deal for "black friday" Sales.

http://www.eurooptic.com/sako-trg-42-rifles.aspx

Glass wise I would opt for the new Sightron SIII(external turret model) 8-32x56, they seem to work fine for .338 Lapua and is under a 1k.

Also I too have noticed pressure issues with guys shooting the savage, and the Ar-30. (Using Factory FGMM 300smk)

Eurooptic's prices on the TRG definately make it an option. And i'm doing my research and liking what i find... But still... nobody shoots weatherby?!?! I have a .270 that i LOVE but its a hunting gun. ive never really shot from a bench with it or even at anything over 150 yards... weatherby's mark V from the link above looks comparable to the TRG... but i dont know much about the Mark 4 or the TRG im just going off of price, features, and repuatation.

The Weatherby is a very nice hunting rifle. But the TRG was designed from the ground up as a sniper rifle, and there really can be no comparison. The TRG-42 is the best deal going in .338 Lapua, it is a no compromise rifle at a comparatively cheap price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Weatherby is a very nice hunting rifle. But the TRG was designed from the ground up as a sniper rifle, and there really can be no comparison. The TRG-42 is the best deal going in .338 Lapua, it is a no compromise rifle at a comparatively cheap price. </div></div>

This^^ is exactly why guys choose the TRG over something like a Weatherby. My friend has a TRG 42 in 338 Lapua and I'll say it's more impressive in person than it is in pictures. He won a benchrest shoot with the damn thing. That speaks volumes as to it's capabilities. I wouldn't even hesitate to go with anything different for your price range. TRG and don't look back.

im looking at the different models and prices on eurooptic.com keywords trg42 lapua

what's the price difference? the ones with a bipod and a muzzle brake are more expensive i know but there's 2 green 338 LM and the only difference I see is the SKU or whatever from the website has a _GM designator vs a _GP designator... same color, barrel, action, coat, magazine, everything... i think?

sako's website isnt much help on this one... not the owners manual either

Depending on how much more $$ your talking between the 2, it's probably the parkerized finish making one more than the other.

I just built a 338 LM with the following specs:
- Defiance action ~$1,300
- Fully optioned XLR HD chassis ~1,100
- Timney trigger ~$100
- Brux barrel installed price ~$500

Total right at $3,000 without glass and is a full up custom gun and it shoots great at 1,000 yards.

To save some money you could use a Siller TAC338, the action I wanted but delivery time was an issue. I had never handled a Defiance action before buying one and am very happy with a very well built action at a reasonable price.

Just my two cents,

wade