• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Lapua/Sako TRG

alpine007

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2009
Hey,
I'm a brand newbie on here, so please be kind if my questions are stupid, or if they have been answered a million times already.
I'm in my late forties and have been shooting/reloading since I was about 14. The biggest rifle I have owned is a 270 Win, but I have fired 99% of my rounds through 22-250/.223/220 Swift/204 Ruger type calibers. Last week I got to go with some "big gun" guys, and I had blast shooting their 1500 yard hardware. So some questions.......
1. I loved one guys Sako TRG22 in a 308, but another guy had a Accuracy International in 338 Lapua. Is there a huge compromise going to the Sako in the 338 and saving the extra $$$ from the AI?
2. There was a lively discussion about bullets weights and barrel twist rates that day. Seemed the concensus was for 300 grain Sierra Matchkings in 1-10 twists (which is apparently a "special order" situation on the Sako). Thoughts?
3. My little guns have pretty much all been fitted with Nightforce scopes, and I really like them. Is this a good choice for a longer range rifle, and if so, what about power and objective lens size?
4. One of the guys sent me home with a magazine that showed a Barrett ad for their BORS shooting system. Is this for real? The ad in the magazine shows it mounted on a Nightforce NXS, but I can only find info for BORS combined with Leupold MK IV scopes. What's the skinny there?
5. Looks like a rifle, scope, (maybe the BORS if it really works), some brass, bullets etc., a muzzle break, bipod, dies, and case are going to land me somewhere near $8000.00. Am I being realistic?

Again, sorry if these are stupid or tired questions. When you live in Idaho Falls, Idaho, you're left to figure out a lot on your own, and the education in rifles can be pretty expensive sometimes.

Re: 338 Lapua/Sako TRG

There is nothing wrong with the Sako. As far as what receipe works best for a handload, you need to work that out yourself with your own loads through a lot of actual trigger time.

8K doesn't sound unreasonable.

good luck with it.

Sako TRG's are no compromise. THE nicest factory rifle I have ever had or touched.

To be fair, I have never had an AI, and I am sure they are nice, but to call the Sako TRG a compromise is inaccurate.

I dont think that the Sako is a compromise but I have fondled the Sako and I own the AIAWSM 338lap. IMHO the AI cant be beat.

#1, No it not a huge compromise with the Sako 42 it's my opinion there is NO compromise #2 the 338LM was designed around the 250 grain bullet but if that's an issue Sako now makes 1x10 twist which is not a special order. #3 NF is a fine optic for the 338 a 5.5-22x50 or 56
is just fine reticle of your choice.#4 BOR's is for real and now made for the NXS personally it does not trip my trigger search it here on SH or here http://www.barrettrifles.com/DiscussionForum_YAF/default.aspx?g=topics&f=26. #5 $8000 is right there.

i handled a trg 22 at a local store and i was kinda let down. i had high expectations of what i wanted it to be i guess. i just didnt feel as beefy as it looked to me. still a fine rifle, i just had it hyped up in my head more than it was in reality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badkarma85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive handled both and in my opinion the AI is better. </div></div>

Better in what way? Please elaborate on what I'm missing while I get my popcorn.

I just got the Sako TRG 42 with the 1:10" twist and it wasn't special order. Shoots great and my buddy bought the AI and it's a sexy beast, but it doesn't shoot any better than my TRG for the amount of $$$$ he dropped on it.

I shot the NXS mil-dot 8-32X56 on my old 1:12" TRG and think it's really nice. I just bought a a 5.5-25X50 for the 1:10" to see if it works out better for field of view...we'll see. I was really close to getting a Horus vision, but the NXS came to me at an unbeatable price and made the decision for me.

My 1:12" shot the Black Hills 250 Sierra BTHP's best out of Norma , Remington and Hornady factory rounds, but they all shot really well. I haven't gotten into reloading for the cartridge yet, but will be very soon.

You can't go wrong with the Sako TRG 42