• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .338 lapua stuck case remover?

hillbillydelux

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2013
Buddy of mine got a case stuck in his 338 lapua the rim ripped off and we can't get it out and can't find a case remover. Anyone know where I can find one or a good idea how to get one out?

Buddy of mine got a case stuck in his 338 lapua the rim ripped off and we can't get it out and can't find a case remover. Anyone know where I can find one or a good idea how to get one out?

If it just ripped the rim off, a cleaning rod should be able to knock it out. If it ripped the head off, push a cleaning patch into the neck and pour some epoxy in whats left of the case and tap it out. Works great and much faster than ordering a tool.

A gunsmith friend of mine taught me this trick. You need TP and a brass rod. Close bolt, insert brass rod in barrel and mark it. Measure a case length and mark the length on the rod . Slowly insert pieces of TP into the barrel and tamp down tightly. Keep doing this until you get the case filled to just over the top of the case neck edge. Then open the bolt and tap end of the rod sharply to remove case. Often had to do this 2-3 times before success.

Rcbs solved this problem with about 5 minutes of work. It's worth a try to use their stuck case remover method......tap the case, insert bolt into case, remove with slide hammer. Tools required, 1/4" tap, allthread, vice grips and a hammer to tap the vice grips holding the allthread.....if you don't have a slide hammer.

If it just ripped the rim off, a cleaning rod should be able to knock it out. If it ripped the head off, push a cleaning patch into the neck and pour some epoxy in whats left of the case and tap it out. Works great and much faster than ordering a tool.

Epoxy worked like a charm! Thanks!