• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors .338 Lapua suppressor experience?

c3guns

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2009
Greetings from my first post here! I just received my new Barrett M98B and want to suppress this baby. I am a class III dealer and I'm already a stocking dealer for AAC and AWC, with access to SureFire through another dealer who carries them.

My question is, do any of you have first-hand experience shooting any of the .338 suppressors that these guys put out? They're all pretty pricey, and they all have their own fan clubs, but until I get to hear one myself, I'm stuck in a dilemma not really wanting to spend several grand to buy one of each for my own comparison.

I'm hoping that one or more of the manufacturers will bring their .338 cans to the silencer shoot here in Texas next weekend so I can check them out first hand. But I would appreciate any experience/input anyone here has.

Re: .338 Lapua suppressor experience?

the titan takes all. period end of story.

silencertests.com will have the specific info you are looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome to the Hide Mr. Kellet. </div></div>

Who 'dat calling me out?

I talked to Mike at AAC yesterday and he said they would likely be at the silencer shoot in Longview next weekend, which I plan to attend. He said he would be bringing the Titan QD so I will hopefully get to eyeball it firsthand. I really hope somebody has an AWC Thundertrap there as well so I can see them both side by side.

Give Cheese from Phoneix tactical a Ring. He's got a bit of experience with the .338 cans you may be interested in.
Also give Stacey Blankenship a call, believe he's got to play with just about everybody's .338.

Try to get to listen to them all and talk to end users.

"titan takes all, end of story." You been drinking the AAC coolaid too long
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C3Guns</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superde</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome to the Hide Mr. Kellet. </div></div>

Who 'dat calling me out?

I talked to Mike at AAC yesterday and he said they would likely be at the silencer shoot in Longview next weekend, which I plan to attend. He said he would be bringing the Titan QD so I will hopefully get to eyeball it firsthand. I really hope somebody has an AWC Thundertrap there as well so I can see them both side by side. </div></div>

David Wiese

You can also contact Terry Cross of KMW. I believe has has a Surefire .338 can, as well as experience with some others.

I have a stainless steel SAS can that attaches with their muzzle brake installed on the gun. I have shot it with friends and we all think it is quiter than our .30 cans. I have a SAS 30, my 2 buddies have Jet and Yankee Hill cans. Recoil is also very mild, I think less than with my badger thurster brake.

I put 60 rounds through our AAC QD-TiTan the first time out.

POI shift was minimal (1.5 MOA) , recoil management good and it did not upset the balance of the rifle. Keep in mind this is hanging off the end of a 28" barrel so it is significant.

Sound attenuation I could not measure (no sound meter) but definitely tamed the blast of full power (250 grains at 2950fps) loads.

Next time out I will shoot it side by side against another identical rifle with a factory outfitted brake.

If looking for maximum suppression I'd lean towards the thread-on version instead of the QD version. The tube diameter is larger.

Mr. Kellet.

Feel free to contact me about personal experiences with several of the .338 suppressors.
I do have an event or two I can talk to you about.
901-289-1110

Scott Hansen
Phoenix Tactical

I just ordered the AWC Stainless(weight is not an issue) Thundertrap for my .338. Already have one of their Titanium Archangel's for my .22's. Chris has always taken care of me there. We'll see how it works on the .338 and the .308's I have.

Feel free to contact me with your questions. I am currently running a few different .338 suppressors and only keep the others around for demo, so they are all seen and fired at the demo for comparision. I prefer the SAS TI can at this time for quality, sound redux and price this is a hard one to beat IMHO. POA to POI shifts, normal on all cans, rare not to see one and normally with a direct connect (thread on) 1moa or less and QD cans from 1moa to ???. Working with these designs I have learned alot over the years and will discuss with anyone but I will not bash any product, just an honest experienced input.

This is EasyRhino72 's Surefire can on a .338lm in action in the link below.
After I shot it a few times. I bought one! The lack of POI shift is real nice too. It is so light as well. The recoil reduction is insane.

Surefire .338lm Can In Action

I own a few SWR suppressors and this was the standard I measured others I shot side by side with. None really ever impressed me more. Although once a .30cal can a AWC Thundertrap when we were testing subsonics did spark some envy. But the supersonic standard rounds seemed to sound the same. His AWC weighed a whole lot more, so it wasn't worth it.

The same is true about the Surefire compared to a lot of others. It weighs a lot less and suppresses with the best but coupled with very little POI shift, rapid attachment, and a real effective brake/mount! It's a winner for sure! Good luck and have a great time with what you do get. The .338 feels like a big soft push suppressed. Love it!
Here is the only 2 pics I have of mine. Right click and hit view image to see full pic.
DSCF8183.jpg

DSCF8052.jpg

I am just waiting on my Form 4 to clear and my SF can will get a workout.

sabre is starting to make S7 -can soon. Very compact, maintenance free and reliable. And works well othervise too, naturally.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">silencertests.com will have the specific info you are looking for. </div></div>

I didn't see a single .338 can in the test results.

http://silencertalk.com/results.htm

I have a Ase-Utra S7 on my 338LM. On the 720mm barrell the POI is lowered 0.4 mrad at 300 meters when compare to POI with a TRG-42 brake. No POI movement to sides. Made of SS so it needs to Molykoted or have a similar treatment.

The kick with the SUPPRESSOR (edited) is looong compared to the brake. My feeling is that the brake tames the rifle better i.e. the rifle kicks less with he brake than with the S7 can. On the other hand the reduced overpressure and swirling dust is MUCH less with the can.

Nowadays I use the can at all times. The overall feeling is better when shooting prone. The brake might tolerate bad shooting composition a tad better but I can not really prove it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Ase-Utra S7 on my 338LM. On the 720mm barrell the POI is lowered 0.4 mrad at 300 meters when compare to POI with a TRG-42 brake. No POI movement to sides. Made of SS so it needs to Molykoted or have a similar treatment.

The kick with the SUPPRESSOR (edited) is looong compared to the brake. My feeling is that the brake tames the rifle better i.e. the rifle kicks less with he brake than with the S7 can. On the other hand the reduced overpressure and swirling dust is MUCH less with the can.

Nowadays I use the can at all times. The overall feeling is better when shooting prone. The brake might tolerate bad shooting composition a tad better but I can not really prove it. </div></div>

I agree,the TRG brake is hard to beat for recoil reduction, but as you also said, the suppressor has other benefits.

At this moment, it looks like we will adopt Cerakote as an option for our stainless suppressors in the future.

Take Care!

Tuukka Jokinen
Ase Utra sound suppressors