• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Lapua v. 50 BMG???

WyoJoe

Private
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2012
Had some questions on these if y'all don't mind.

A guy I know let me try a shot with his 50 BMG and I was hooked on the spot. Started right away looking around for a long range rifle.

What I would like to tap into on the collective wisdom is which of these offers a longer barrel life under normal conditions? Can we center the discussion around that? Maybe how to extend the barrel life.

A bit about me:
1. Nigh on 60. Been hunting & shooting most of my adult life. Just starting to get interested in long range.
2. Handloader so ammo is a non issue.
3. I have shot both & the recoil from either one didn't bother me.
4. Price wise they are close enough together that either one is doable.
5. I believe in goals. Accuracy goal is to be able to shoot out to a mile. Either cartridge will do that.

What say ye folks? I joined this forum to feed my addiction & firmly believe I have found the right spot.

Re: 338 Lapua v. 50 BMG???

2-3K for the 338LM, 50BMG generaly goes a little farther, 3K+. If you think about how many $$ worth of loading components you will put through the 50BMG over its barrel life span (nearly $10k using quality brass/bullets), the 338LM starts to look a little better, even considering barrel life. Both calibers are capable of fine accuracy and impressive long range performance, but the 338LM seems to be inherently more accurate. Apples to apples, the 50BMG has better long range ballistic performance as a anti-materiel round, if the primary goal is long range accuracy, the 338LM is a better choice IMO.

Kirk R

.338LM and .375CT have far more advantages than disadvantages over .50BMG, which is why they've gained substantial popularity over the last 12 years. A .338LM will accurately get to a mile, which is well beyond what most people shoot anyway. If you already load .308 or .300WM, moving up to .338LM isn't much of a change, whereas if you want to make your own .50BMG loads you need new super-sized equipment (press, powder thrower, scale, trimmer, comparator, etc). Also, .338LM rifle can be made well under 20lbs compared to 30lbs .50BMG rifles. .50BMG is also a beast to shoot all day for most people and can be very rough on equipment (don't skimp on quality!).

That said, .50BMG is a hell of a lot of fun to shoot and has very real military applications thanks to the large mass of the bullet (750gr vs 300gr) and payload capability. And if you're shooting ELR distances, it's MUCH easier to spot the splash at 2000m on a .50BMG than a .338LM.

In other words, the best reason these days to own a .50BMG is because you want one.

For accuracy, the 50 BMG is junk. Out to 2130 yards, the 338 LM and 7mm Magnums do WAY better than the 50. On a man size target at 2130 yards my 338, and 7 Mag were consistently with in 2-3 feet if not hitting. The 50 shooting along side with high quality ammo was all over the place.

Past that, the 50 is not fun to shoot. Huge concussion and extremely expensive. People have been known to vomit after shooting the 50 for more than 10 shots due to concussion.

One mile is an easily attainable goal. I own a 338 LM. With what I know now, and my goal was 1760 yards (one mile), my caliber choices would be as follows:

7mm mag with 180 Berger hybrid (the 7 RSAUM is my favorite).
338 Lapua Mag with any 300 grain projectile or the 285 Hornady.
300 Win mag with any projectile over the 208 Hornady, but probably 230 Berger.

The awesome thing about the 7 RSAUM is that it is a conventional caliber that you can actually afford to shoot, and the 195 Berger hybrid is right around the corner. When that is released, there will be no reason to run anything for XLR up to the 375 Cheytac.

Enjoy the new addiction,
Ty

Reactions: VargmatII

If you are just going to go with one I would go with .338LM. If you are sticking with .338 LM I suggest a TRG-42. How about the Desert Tacitcal HTI? It's pricey but you could get both calibers in one rifle I believe.

Reloading cost of .338 LM is around $1.30/round and BGM with 750gr Amaxes is probably $3/round once you factor in brass life etc.
-.338 Lapua Mag. SMK 300gr - $0.54, Powder 90ish gr retumbo $0.25, Brass 100 for 250 (7-10 loads for Lapua Brass), 1000ct primers $35-40 for FGMM
-.50 BMG 750gr Amax - $2.00, Powder 210gr H50 $0.56, Brass ??, Primer ??

The weight is also an issue if you are moving it much. 50's are HEAVY!

Sorry I was no help on barrel life.

Love my .338Lapua...bought the Savage 110BA and am 100% pleased with the accuracy and recoil..or lack of recoil.

I had a TRG-42; was a nice rifle, but would not outshoot the 110BA..and did recoil a little harder. The ergonomics of the Savage is great, and makes it easy to fit to each individual and their shooting style. Adjustable trigger is also a big plus.

Shot 40 rounds off the bench Sunday, and can honestly say this gun easily outshot my buddies 50 BMG...and costs a lot less to feed. I think you will get more than 10+ loads on Lapua brass if your anneal, which will keep your costs down. I shoot Berger 250 Tactical VLD's, but have to hand feed them as they are too long for the magazine (when you touch the rifling).

My McMillian Tac 50 is a nail driver. And I haven't seen anything that bucks the wind more than a 750gr Amax clocking in at 2900 FPS.

But it's a heavy beast. I won't take it more than 20 yards from the ATV.

If you want a packing rifle a 50 may not be the best option.

Both are great guns to shoot, I would look at which your more apt to be able to shoot in your area the most. Some ranges don't allow the 50 cals on their course. I have shot both, the Tac 50 and the Barrett 338. I prefer the 338 Lapua Mag. Actually for tactical the 338 LM is great but I have became a fan of the 260. Just because it shoots as well and allows the operator to see impacts and run the gun well for multiple targets on a time restraint.

oneshot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For accuracy, the 50 BMG is junk. Out to 2130 yards, the 338 LM and 7mm Magnums do WAY better than the 50. On a man size target at 2130 yards my 338, and 7 Mag were consistently with in 2-3 feet if not hitting. The 50 shooting along side with high quality ammo was all over the place.

Past that, the 50 is not fun to shoot. Huge concussion and extremely expensive. People have been known to vomit after shooting the 50 for more than 10 shots due to concussion.

One mile is an easily attainable goal. I own a 338 LM. With what I know now, and my goal was 1760 yards (one mile), my caliber choices would be as follows:

7mm mag with 180 Berger hybrid (the 7 RSAUM is my favorite).
338 Lapua Mag with any 300 grain projectile or the 285 Hornady.
300 Win mag with any projectile over the 208 Hornady, but probably 230 Berger.

The awesome thing about the 7 RSAUM is that it is a conventional caliber that you can actually afford to shoot, and the 195 Berger hybrid is right around the corner. When that is released, there will be no reason to run anything for XLR up to the 375 Cheytac.

Enjoy the new addiction,
Ty </div></div>

If they are freakish pansies they will vomit! We shoot fifty BMG a lot for military, I've been within 15 feet of the muzzle of a M242 Bushmaster 25mm autocannon, 25 feet from the muzzle of a T55 maingun in downtown Baghdad, 20 feet from an RPG impact, etc etc etc and have never vomited. I'll admit it cleaned my clock when that T55 fired its maingun next to me. Last time I shot my Serbu (I just put a AR50 muzzle break on it) I fired 30 rounds through her with no issues. I did have a sore neck after firing 80 rounds through my Serbu with Marks first generation muzzle break (his shark break is soooooo much better).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EODWay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My McMillian Tac 50 is a nail driver. And I haven't seen anything that bucks the wind more than a 750gr Amax clocking in at 2900 FPS.

But it's a heavy beast. I won't take it more than 20 yards from the ATV.

If you want a packing rifle a 50 may not be the best option.

</div></div>
I was going to try some 800grn Lapua. I have 750 grn Lapua and AMAX as well as some 647grn Barnes.

Not knocking the .338 but when ya wanna reach out and Phuck something up the .50 all the way. If its ballistics ya want the .375 cheytac all the way.

People getting sick and vomiting from the .50 is like saying that if it passes by your arm it will blow it off.

That being said the .338 is a great round and I would never feel under gunned with it either.

i have a 50, but its because i can toss API and ST's and watch shit go BOOM!..
smile.gif

Reactions: deersniper

I would probably have both as hard to choose between them but if I had a 375 I would bother with either.

The 338 LM will keep you shooting for less $ out past a mile.
That being said the 375 Cheytac is real sweet for ELR

338 is far more accurate at distance.If you want to hit a tank at 1 mile get a 50bmg.If you want to make a combat effective hit on a man size target get a 338.

The 338LM is a great round and have seen people do real well with them out to a mile. I have never owned one so I cannot say how it performs with first hand experience. It is definitely on my short list of rifles to add to my collection.
The 50 and the 338 are completely different tools in the tool box so to say one can do the others job altogether is not true.

I have owned and competed with 6 different 50 BMGs and reload for the 50 as well. To say "For accuracy, the 50 BMG is junk" is not correct at all.

I know from first hand experience that the ammo makes or breaks the accuracy of a 50. There are dozens of powders, brass makes and vintages, and bullets, as well as hundreds of loading methods that make up the vast array of possible 50 ammo.

I personally have won matches shooting as small as 5 inch groups at 1000 yards with 808 Lehigh solids and averaging 10.5 inches over the entire match. Most matches, people do even better than that! I have seen some of the top competitive 50 shooters in the FCSA turn in 1.9 inch groups at 1000 and shoot sub .5 MOA all day like its nothing! (they piss me off lol!)
The accuracy potential of the 50 is as good or better than any other long range rifle I have ever seen.

That said, A Barrett M82 with API and surplus powder will be lucky to shoot 3 MOA. But a Mcmillan, or AI with match bullets and powder and loaded meticulously will easily shoot .5 - 1 MOA at 1000 yards. I can't imagine a 338 doing any better than that. Take it for what its worth.

Good luck and good shooting!

Reactions: deersniper

One more thing to consider. It's cheaper to suppress the 338 than the 50.

A 50 caliber is a lot of fun to shoot due to the energy. Usually you can see your impacts. If cost and accuracy are important then a 338 can easily out shoot the 50. In Montana a number of long range elk hunters use the 50. A solid body hit is serious. To the best of my knowledge no-one has recovered a bullet on an elk at any range with a 50. I have shot the 50 quite a bit and it was fun. However, a 338 gives you far more for your money unless you need the massive downrange energy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a 50, but its because i can toss API and ST's and watch shit go BOOM!..
smile.gif

</div></div>

The .50 is a lot of fun. I've got a light weight, 16lb .50...for fun. If you want to shoot comp I think you'll be into a McMillan or DTA started out at $6K+ before you even think about ammo if you want to put a round on target.

The .338 is nice if you already reload and platforms, like the TRG-42, start out in the $3K range and are very capable.

I'd spend the $$$ on a good platform and lapua brass/scenar rounds for the .338 if you're looking to rounds on target...at range...accurately.

Just punching up engine blocks...yup, nobody is going to argue with 12,000ft lbs of muzzle energy the .50 is putting out.

I have the .338LM and love it.
I just finished building a .50 a few weeks ago and have not got the scope rings in or the barrel broke in yet. I like both rounds very much. Wish you much luck on picking your winner.
If I had only one I would likely go to the .338 as I can pack it on my shoulder if I want to. Thank goodness I have a ford ton truck that will haul all the rifles I want to pile on it and not bitch about the weight!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WyoJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I would like to tap into on the collective wisdom is which of these offers a longer barrel life under normal conditions? Can we center the discussion around that? Maybe how to extend the barrel life.</div></div>
I'll stick to your question.Both calibers offer excellent barrel life,if not loaded to extremes.I've put over 4K down one of my stock AR50's and it still shot lights out past 1K.I haven't put that many rounds through my 338's,but they seem to be holding up.If you keep the barrel clean and load for accuracy,not extreme velocity,both calibers will last a couple thousand rounds.I've seen shooters do alot of treatments and procedures to try and keep their barrels from going south,but none has been better than others.Not worth the time and expense in my book.When a throat gets burned out,it's time to rebarrel.Thats why I just shoot and rebarrel when I notice diminished accuracy.If weights not an issue,I'd go with the 50,or a rifle platform that'll let you change calibers,as was mentioned.EDM,DTA are good and proven platforms with those capabilities.Have Fun.

Lapua mag all the way. Easily packable.. cheaper to shoot and will get u out to any range u want really.. i have shot mine at 2500..

.338 Lapua for me, TRG-42 kicks like a .308 or less and very accurate. But the 50 is just plane bad ass. buy both.

Reactions: stefan73

.338 Lapua for me, TRG-42 kicks like a .308 or less and very accurate. But the 50 is just plane bad ass. buy both.
I ran my TRG-42 in .338 LP to 2k yards with 300grn Lapua Scenars out at Spearpoint Ranch in Kansas. It was fun, recoil isn't bad.

With the .338 LM you can also buy a spare barrel and switch to 33xc. That cartridge has some legs...