• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 lapua vs 338 AI... need educated opinions!

Please give your opinions! Is hunting down an improved reamer (if I can find one) worth it?

• Total voters

Nomad909

Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2017
SH members, I need some help.

I was fortunate enough to pick up a certificate for accurate ordinance and the team down there has been nothing but patient and awesome to work with. Here's my intentions:

I'm using a stiller tac 338 action in an xlr chassis. Weight is zero issue and I dont care to magazine feed it, top loading is what I'm planning on for purely performance. This is my "canyon rifle" I plan on using an extremely heavy barrel profile finished at ~30". I'll be using either 300g smk or 300g otms. I'm hoping at achieve 3000ish fps.

Now here's my predicament:

Accurate ordinance does not carry a 338 AI ( 338 lapua improved) reamer. That was my first option. I've read it gets about 100 to 150 fps more than a normal 338. They did tell me though that they already have a set up for a long throated normal 338 lapua and it would give me my desired results. I've been heart set on the 338 improved mostly because this is a performance build and I'm totally fine with single feeding but I'm having trouble finding a reamer to rent to complete this build...

My 338LM has a 29” barrel and is throated long for a 3.950” COAL, rifle is a DTS SRS. With the Berger 300gr OTM and 96gr of Retumbo I’m getting 2890fps, it’s possible the barrel may speed up some as it has a little under 100 rounds on it. This load is still a little under 100% fill, it’s an accurate load so I’ve not pushed any further.

Since you are looking at a single feed have you considered the 33XC?

Why not a .338NM or even a .300NM? Designed to be mag fed with the highest BC bullets, with similar ballistic performance to it's .338LM counterparts.

That's what I would do.

I have both a standard 338LM and a 338 LM Improved. Remember, just because it can go faster does not mean the accurate load will be found there. On the other hand I’ll never do a standard 338LM again. Improving the shoulder eliminates case growth after the 2-3 firing. Not so with the standard.

I have a load for fire forming that’s stupid accurate. Barrel life is not a concern for a 338lm so fire-forming is not an issue. Widden Gunworks made me a set of die for the improved after I lose the original set. Mag length has never been an issue, but I’m running the 250 class bullets.

If they can cut you a chamber that runs 300 class bullets in an improved chamber that will also mag feed, you’ll be the coolest kid in the block. Just my experience, hope this helps.

Reactions: Nomad909
3000 FPS with 300 grain bullets... 338 AI or 338 NM. 30 - 32” barrel, RL33 or N570 will be your tickets to success.

I don’t believe 3000 FPS is going to be an option with a long-throated 338LM. Not if you plan on reusing the brass more than twice.

Reactions: Nomad909
A picture is worth.....

Attachments

• 5458993F-51D7-44ED-9D30-34451CA647C6.jpeg
    5458993F-51D7-44ED-9D30-34451CA647C6.jpeg
    434.5 KB · Views: 1,512
Really not interested in the 338 norma or 33xc... @OLD308 thanks for the information, thats very helpful. Exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Another question for everyone:

Anyone know where I can rent a reamer??? Accurate ordinance wont use PTG either

Out of curiosity, why are you excluding the .338 Norma?

To me it seems like a more modern optimized version of .338LM, with a case design made to use the high BC projectiles while still retaining the ability to mag feed.

Just seems like a better version of the .338LM. However, I don't have either (I do have a .300NM though).

I've found 300 gr projectiles leaving the muzzle at 3000 FPS with a 30" 338 LM Improved running 99-100 gr of US869.