• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .338 LM Action Advice.

Brians708

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2009
Central Texas
About to start a .338 LM build. Need advice on actions. Can a 700 long be used? If not who has more in the field outside of AI.

Re: .338 LM Action Advice.

700 LA can be used but by the time you pay for the mods you could buy a purpose built custom action.

Look at Stiller, Surgeon, Phoenix Machine, Badger, etc.

I'm using a Lawton 7000 long action with the blot face opened up from the factory.

Badger and Surgeon are GTG, as are the others bsb212 listed.

Badger build I did:

100_3991.jpg

I looked at a lot of different actions before I ordered a Surgeon XL. I am verry happy with it.

Surgeon goin once, Surgeon going twice.....

That XL Package looks like its hard to beat!

Or you can look for a m995 sako action if you can find one for a reasonable price. I've ran a lapua in a 995 action for the last 10+ years and 3 barrels later its still going strong. The mags are longer than the ai so it work out good in that aspect. I also have a surgeon xl but is chambered in a 338 norma mag.

I owned one Surgeon XL and am currently building another. Great action by great guys in Prague, OK.

Also RWSgunsmith has a Phoenix 338lm action w/bolt f/s in the guns section. I got one from him 4 months ago great price. Just got the finished gun back from SSgunsmithing yesterday!!SWEET

I would get the Lawton 8500 and have them inlet it for a Seekind long detachable mag system. they are 1.45" diameter and the rem is 1.36" and their bolt is .750 against the rem .700.

They are the best valure for money and i think if building a 338 Lapua you sould make it with the best parts from the ground up. we have 2 on order and they shall be delivered very soon as we are building complete rifles on them for sale. Then they will have the Seekins mags, scope rails and rings with a Jewell trigger and Manners stock in digi camo they will be our premier line of custom rifle we also are building 223's and 375 Snipe Tacs so it will be fun to play when they are here.

Action choice aside, what would be the shortest barrel length to run with the 338LM, yet still retain enough MV to reach 1800m?

I gather that the norm is 26in or greater, being that the AI and TRG are 26in and 27in, Blaser Tac2 is a tad shorter at 24in, but was thinking a 20-22in tube, in the portability vs MV trade off, thinking along the lines of what Franks Gladius did for .308's, but for a .338LM.

thoughts?

JJ