• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 LM Ammo Choices - Between these two

ipscone

Private
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2002
I hope this is OK in this forum. I chose this forum, because my question might be affected by the type of rifle being used. For this question, I'm using the Ruger RPR, in .338 Lapua Magnum.

I just picked up the rifle, after waiting my mandatory background check. Seems silly since I already have many rifles. But oh well. It is what it is.

There isn't a lot of this caliber "in stock" but I have found a couple of different options. I'm primarily going to use this for casual long range shooting. I've long since, gotten out of the competitive game (mostly pistol). But I still want to shoot as much as I can. In .338, I can find:

* Lapua Scenar, in .338 LM, 300gr Open Tip Match (v=2569)
* Hornady Match, in .338 LM, 285gr ELD (v=2745

I'll probably start handloading these, because of the cost and availability, if I can find the components, but for now, these seem to be my two options for what's available. I tried to find commercial ammo "in stock" that uses the 300gr SMK, but no joy.

Questions (with RPR in mind):
1) How well do these two compare?
2) Is one preferable to the other?
3) What would be my next option for commercial, match type ammo?
4) Other suggestions

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: 338dude
This is more of buy what you can find kinda environment. If it were me, I'd buy a box of both a let the rifle tell you the better ammo. Buy more of whatever shoots better and start playing.

Save your brass and start buying components so you can start reloading as soon as your ready. Suitable 338L powders are hard to find let alone magnum large rifle primers.

Buy a box of each and test completely to see what the rifle wants. We just proofed a buddies RPR in .338 LM and it *loved* the Hornady ELD-M offering.

VooDoo

When I had my 338 I was only shooting factory ammo.

Over 3 diff barrels I found the Hornady 250 and 285 was the best bang for the buck.

Actually found the 250 more accurate inside 1000

Lap scenar didn’t shoot that well in all barrels but was a hammer in 1.

Black hills was really expensive and not that great.

Federal was ok, little slow and overly expensive.

This is more than a few years ago, but some friends still shoot Hornady with great results

This is more of buy what you can find kinda environment. If it were me, I'd buy a box of both a let the rifle tell you the better ammo. Buy more of whatever shoots better and start playing.

Save your brass and start buying components so you can start reloading as soon as your ready. Suitable 338L powders are hard to find let alone magnum large rifle primers.
That's kind of what I'm finding out. :) I had ordered the Scenar and found Hornady 285 in the local gun store. Bought a couple of boxes. So that makes about 80 rounds. :) Cute!

Last year I spent a lot of money buying primers, powder, and bullets, whenever I could find reasonable prices. I think I have most everything, except Large Rifle Magnum. I know I have 1000 Large Rifle Primers, but not Magnum (CCI 200). I may have some H1000 powder. And I have 4 boxes of factory .338, including the two I picked up today. Just need to find bullets and some dies.

I have a Dillon 750, but I don't know if I can adapt that for .338 loading. Might have to buy a single stage press, and accessories. Never reloaded for rifle before.

Appreciate the tips.

I have shot over 1,000 rounds out of my stick. 300 grain sucks heavy ass. Too heavy and too slow for this caliber. The wind “advantage” is offset by the low velocity.

I shoot 250 grain Lapua Scenar, RUAG and Berger. 2970 fps with a 27” barrel. I have shot 285 Hornady as well with decent results.

Speed kills….hint

I tried the 300gr as well and settled on the 285gr eldm. But in the OP's shoes who wants to shoot factory for now should try them as well. Worse case is he'll have some once fired lapua brass.

The H1000 might be a touch on the fast side for heavy bullets (>250gr) and I haven't tried them, but the military CCI 34's are supposedly magnums. They run about 35fps faster in my 308win. The only variable was the primer in testing.

Shoot what you can find.
My DTA SRS likes everything.
I’m sure I can hand load for better groups, but 285gr ELDX seem to smack that 1k yard plate with boring repetition.

Issue is finding components. I’ve now got a 400 empty brass cases waiting for primers or powder to see what I can work up. Don’t know if I’ll ever find enough to make it work.

If you can get a few cases of one or the other, do that.

Lapua makes Factory 250gr ammunition.
I'd recommend you use that, not their 300gr version.

• Love
Another point to consider is that the Lapua brass leftover from their factory loadings should be a sight better than the Hornady brass, once you're ready to handload for it.

I hope this is OK in this forum. I chose this forum, because my question might be affected by the type of rifle being used. For this question, I'm using the Ruger RPR, in .338 Lapua Magnum.

I just picked up the rifle, after waiting my mandatory background check. Seems silly since I already have many rifles. But oh well. It is what it is.

There isn't a lot of this caliber "in stock" but I have found a couple of different options. I'm primarily going to use this for casual long range shooting. I've long since, gotten out of the competitive game (mostly pistol). But I still want to shoot as much as I can. In .338, I can find:

* Lapua Scenar, in .338 LM, 300gr Open Tip Match (v=2569)
* Hornady Match, in .338 LM, 285gr ELD (v=2745

I'll probably start handloading these, because of the cost and availability, if I can find the components, but for now, these seem to be my two options for what's available. I tried to find commercial ammo "in stock" that uses the 300gr SMK, but no joy.

Questions (with RPR in mind):
1) How well do these two compare?
2) Is one preferable to the other?
3) What would be my next option for commercial, match type ammo?
4) Other suggestions

Thanks,
Mike
Hornady 285 match

I used the Hornady 285s in a few different formats and they shot well and were pretty consistent for factorys. No experience with others.

That's kind of what I'm finding out. :) I had ordered the Scenar and found Hornady 285 in the local gun store. Bought a couple of boxes. So that makes about 80 rounds. :) Cute!

Last year I spent a lot of money buying primers, powder, and bullets, whenever I could find reasonable prices. I think I have most everything, except Large Rifle Magnum. I know I have 1000 Large Rifle Primers, but not Magnum (CCI 200). I may have some H1000 powder. And I have 4 boxes of factory .338, including the two I picked up today. Just need to find bullets and some dies.

I have a Dillon 750, but I don't know if I can adapt that for .338 loading. Might have to buy a single stage press, and accessories. Never reloaded for rifle before.

Appreciate the tips.
285 ELDs

I have shot 285s with success, however Hornady bullets seem to be very sensitive to jump in my gun. SMKs are much more forgiving, but have not produced as tight of groups as the 285s. Like others have said, for factory ammo Id get the Lapua just to have quality brass.

As far as primers go, good luck. Ive been lucky to snag 2000 over the last year. Some state that they have had really good success with the CCI No. 34, but I have yet to try them.