• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 lm build

BB KoncepZ

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2011
Alabama
As far as a factory production rifle, whats everybody liking in the 338 lapua mag platform? Without spending $4k+?

If thats your budget, assemble it yourself with quality components. You can even get the tools to do it and still be way under budget.
Doesn't he specify "factory production rifle"?
As far as a factory production rifle, whats everybody liking in the 338 lapua mag platform? Without spending $4k+?
I know Savage has several versions in 338LM but my favorite was the TRG42 from Sako. You also have the Ruger RPR in the mix now.
I owned the TRG42 but sold it back during the chemo year of life. It was a comfortable platform with accuracy to spare.
Recently, I decided to go 338LM and did some shopping. Prices have definitely escalated from a year ago (or less). I also looked into building one from the ground up and that idea won. I have a Brux 9.5 twist blank to finish at 30" and it will go on a Kauger Precision SST Viper action. Once that is done my plans include the KRG X-Ray chassis and a Trigger Tech trigger.
Funny thing though; I have about as much sunk into dies and components as gun parts right now.

Doesn't he specify "factory production rifle"?

I know Savage has several versions in 338LM but my favorite was the TRG42 from Sako. You also have the Ruger RPR in the mix now.
I owned the TRG42 but sold it back during the chemo year of life. It was a comfortable platform with accuracy to spare.
Recently, I decided to go 338LM and did some shopping. Prices have definitely escalated from a year ago (or less). I also looked into building one from the ground up and that idea won. I have a Brux 9.5 twist blank to finish at 30" and it will go on a Kauger Precision SST Viper action. Once that is done my plans include the KRG X-Ray chassis and a Trigger Tech trigger.
Funny thing though; I have about as much sunk into dies and components as gun parts right now.
He does, but who would opt for that over a custom? I suspect maybe he doesn't know he can do that. The TRG is one the few that uses his budget, and is a good rifle. No chance I pick the TRG though when I could have a Lone Peak/Bartlein/AI chassis for his budget.

Reactions: shoot4fun
Under 4K and nice?
Your going to probably need to piece it together or find a good deal on a TRG.

No love for the ruger prec!
I bought a RPR in 6 CM a few months ago. I really don't care for the butt of the chassis but it does shoot very well.
A buddy has one of the Savage 110 versions in 338. He paid $1500 before the big run. Now they are running $2k+ and the RPR 338LM I have seen are right at $2,500. I'll be sitting about $2500 in my custom build when finished.

I bought a RPR in 6 CM a few months ago. I really don't care for the butt of the chassis but it does shoot very well.
A buddy has one of the Savage 110 versions in 338. He paid $1500 before the big run. Now they are running $2k+ and the RPR 338LM I have seen are right at $2,500. I'll be sitting about $2500 in my custom build when finished.
Which do u like better?

Check out the Christiansen arms ELR in 338, in your price range, carbon fiber and they shoot great.

I'd go Ruger over Savage, but if you're able to spend $4k on a shelf rifle, Sako is really the only answer.

My son owns a 110 BA Stealth...honest 3/4 minute all day long with 300 A-Tips.
Easy to fit any AR buttstock of your choice, the factory one is a bit cheesy but functional.
Easy enuf to spend 2-4 times as much, but why?

Last edited:
I have an rpr in 338 lm, i didnt change anything to the rifle really except having to adjust the brake strait cause it was crooked from the factory. But i got it after everything went to shit and still only paid 2k for it new in the box. With a scope and ammo and dies and bullets and powder and a bipod im hovering around 4k total into it.... but allready looking at better scopes too.

Reactions: shoot4fun
LOOK HERE! Seems like a great deal.