• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

338 lm build

bcpdshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2011
NW Louisiana
My action for my 338lm build came in today. I will be ordering a rock creek cut 5r barrel for this build. I will be running a can on this rifle so i think a 26"-27" barrel with work well. I have seen a lot of load data for the 338 with 250gr and 300gr.
My question is which twist rate would be optimum for the 250s-300s, 1:11.25 or 1:12?
I would like to hear from shooters that have 338s and what kind of accuracy they are getting out of them.

Keep you powder dry!

Re: 338 lm build

1:10 is the most common in factory rifles - it's good for both the 250 and 300gr bullets. The faster twists are becoming more common now and are better suited to the long, monolithic solid bullets that the 1:10 can be hit-or-miss, so to speak, with stabilization.

There you are roscoe. Did you get my text earlier? There was a big difference in this action I got today than the first one. It still has a heavy bolt lift like the other one.

I'd suggest a 9 twist. Any slower and run the risk of not being able to stabilize the heavies. This is the twist rate I my 338 but mind you mine is setup with a bore specifically designed for solids.

1-9.5 27".
Best group was .09@100yds (3 rnds)Hdy 250gr; .169@100 (5 rnds) SMK, Lapua Brass, 89gr RE22

Rock will recommend a 9.4 twist. I will be running a 30" Rock on my GAP 338.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd suggest a 9 twist. Any slower and run the risk of not being able to stabilize the heavies. This is the twist rate I my 338 but mind you mine is setup with a bore specifically designed for solids. </div></div>

Really? I guess I'll tell my TRG42 that it can't shoot 300's past 1k. See it only has a 1:12

Alaskaman, don't take offense. Some setups perform great no matter what. But Mike's folks will tell him to got with the 9.4 twist 5r. I just recently ordered a blank from him. Great folks to work with. Just be prepared to wait at least as long as they say and expect it to be longer. Mine was supposed to come in last month. From what I have heard, it's worth the wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd suggest a 9 twist. Any slower and run the risk of not being able to stabilize the heavies. This is the twist rate I my 338 but mind you mine is setup with a bore specifically designed for solids. </div></div>

Really? I guess I'll tell my TRG42 that it can't shoot 300's past 1k. See it only has a 1:12 </div></div>

Calm down man! I never said you couldn't stabilize 300 grain bullets with a slower twist I just said you might not be able to. There is more to stabilizing a bullet then twist rate. grove configuration plays in as well as velocity and barrel length.

+1 on 9-9.5 twist. You'll want a fast twist for those heavy bullets. Accuracy depends on a lot of things, but my 700P in 338LM shot fantastic out of the box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WAMBO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rock 30" 1-9.4" twist, 300gr Bergers, .5 moa out to 1200yds. </div></div> +1