• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 LM reloading. i need recomendations

par0thead151

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2010
I am getting into the 338 caliber.
i currently have a dillon 650 press, and a rock chucker single stage.
i am reloading for a desert tac srs.
this will be my first precision rifle, so i need all the gear, primer pocket reamer, tools to make sure the case necks are concentric, etc etc.
If someone could please give me a rundown of what i need and what the best make/model for such tools are, i would greatly appreciate it.
I know i have a lot of learning to do, and have a book ordered about bench rest shooting, but i would like to order up the gear so i can have it in hand while i am learning about it.
any help/advice that can be given would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Re: 338 LM reloading. i need recomendations

Personally, I am much more comfy loading precision rifle in a single stage or turret press; especially a big case like 338. I'm not saying that it cannot be done in a dillon, it's just that there is a bit of play in the dillon presses as opposed to a single stage. But I would definitely get some good dies, like Redding. Preferably bushing dies and the comp seater. I have made some great precision 308 and 223 ammo with my 550. A concern would be the powder drop, as it is good, but won't give you an exact drop each time. I would use mine like a single stage and weigh each charge.

You can't load 338LM in the 650, there is not enough clearance.

You can do it in a 550 if you want to stay with a progressive, but the seating die will likely need to be trimmed by a few thousandths so you can sneak the bullet in there.

These are the dies I'm using. Bushing dies are the way to go for sure:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=423070
start off with the .365 titanium nitride bushing, and maybe a .366 as well.
Not sure you will need a primer pocket reamer as they are really more for removing crimps. And if you clean ultrasonic you won't need a primer pocket cleaner either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These are the dies I'm using. Bushing dies are the way to go for sure:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=423070
start off with the .365 titanium nitride bushing, and maybe a .366 as well.
Not sure you will need a primer pocket reamer as they are really more for removing crimps. And if you clean ultrasonic you won't need a primer pocket cleaner either. </div></div>

good point.
i do have a ultra sonic cleaner, so that will be the way i clean the brass.
as far as the tools geared towards accuracy, what brands/make/model are preferable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJ Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get Zediker's "Handloading for Competition", read it, then you can decide what you want/need. You might learn some other stuff too. </div></div>

just ordered it.
thanks.

I do great with all my RCBS single stage and Chargemaster 1500. Redding type s dies, #35 shellholder, .365 bushing, Lapua brass and bullets.

never a problem...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ramius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't load 338LM in the 650, there is not enough clearance.

You can do it in a 550 if you want to stay with a progressive, but the seating die will likely need to be trimmed by a few thousandths so you can sneak the bullet in there.</div></div>

You know, you are right about the clearance. I forgot about the auto-indexing. But if you leave the station after the seater empty, the loaded round should be able to clear it I think. I load on the T7, and to seat the bullet, I have to place it under the seater, move it up into the seater, and then drop it down into the case mouth. To turn the turret, the round has to be removed. Same goes for 300WM.

i am open to buying a nicer press too.
what would the right press be?

I use the Forster Co-Ax to load my .338 Lapua mag on as well as all my other rifle calibers from .223 on up. The .338 fit is just a bit tight, but no big deal. Check out press threads here on the Hide, people have several favorites.

I'm running the Redding Ultramag for the Cheytac, Lapua, and on down. Works great for me.

He did say he has a Rock (sock) Chucker in his original post. That will work for what he needs. If you start with Lapua brass, you'll not need to do anything to the primer pockets, or flash hole. You'll find the necks to be very uniform as well. This will save on some equipment up front. Redding makes great dies, and others have mentioned bushing sizes.

R.