• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 LM vs. 408 Chey Tac

desertHK

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2008
AZ
Just for curiosity, if you have to pick ONE and only ONE of the two cartridges, which one would you pick and why? This is you one and only rifle forever (if there is such --LOL).

Re: 338 LM vs. 408 Chey Tac

I would pick 338 lapua. You will shoot it more it really will give you enough effective range and pract. can configure in a lighter rifle.

338 cheypua. just kidding
i like the 338 lapua for cost of shooting only
it will shoot far enough for me
but i am going to build both.
just because i can.

Well since we are opening up caliber selection, I would and I am building a 375 Chey-Tac and you can hunt with it in Idaho

The reason you do not here about it is they really screwed up by releasing it then no one could get ammo. also barrets suck on accuracy

The "ONE" you got.It's paid for.LOL.
Cheaper to shoot,less recoil,only goes subsonic about 300 yards earlier.

If you have a fast twist on your 338L then you can shoot the Hooker solids.338 - 270 grain,10 twist,.871 BC or the Lehigh 245 grain .869 BC.

You should be able to crank the 245's to 3000 fps but the Hookers work better in my 375 CT.Which by the way stays sonic to 2850 yards up here in Flag.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">The "ONE" you got.It's paid for.LOL.</span></span>Cheaper to shoot,less recoil,only goes subsonic about 300 yards earlier.

If you have a fast twist on your 338L then you can shoot the Hooker solids.338 - 270 grain,10 twist,.871 BC or the Lehigh 245 grain .869 BC.

You should be able to crank the 245's to 3000 fps but the Hookers work better in my 375 CT.Which by the way stays sonic to 2850 yards up here in Flag.

Steve </div></div>

I hear you Steve. Just wondering that's all.

338LM is my choice it starts running out of gas at 1 mile and the cheytac still has half a tank left. Out to 1500 yards they perform very similarly. The cheytac cartridges will bring your rifles weight over 20 lbs the 338lM will keep it under 16 if you get the right one.

I'll play devil's advocate and vote for .338/408 Chey-Tac. Of course thats only because .375CT and .300WM aren't in the list >.>

Just for curiosity, what is the probability of a 1st, or 2nd shot hit at an "iron maiden" size target at 2000 + yards?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for curiosity, what is the probability of a 1st, or 2nd shot hit at an "iron maiden" size target at 2000 + yards? </div></div>

Depends on the shooter and how well he knows the weapon.

338 lap for sure based on those two cal's only. For practical purposes it will shoot further accurately than most shooters ability will allow. Far lighter to pack and puts a big enough hole in most things.... Sure if you only shot 1500 plus and were vehicle based.. then it might be different ?

DUH

I should annex to my original post. I already have an AIAWSM in 338 LM and a 50 BMG. Just wondering if it is justifiable to get a 408 Chey Tac.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: distantfoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This would be a great subject to revisit once Berger comes out with their 338 vlds.</div></div>

It matters none. the ballistic advantage will still go to the 408!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you already have a 338LM get a 375CT it will go 2700+ yards.</div></div>

Absolutely!!!

DesertHK:
You already know my stance on the 338, 375, and 408 so no need for me to repeat it here
smile.gif

you gonna be at SHOT SHOW?

thanks

If money is not a issue and bullet selection than the 408 hands down.

Depends who's paying for the ammo. Just on performance alone I would go with the 408 but if I had to pay to feed it then the 338 Lapua would allow more shooting for me.

Usually in these type of discussions I'll go with the cartridge that fulfills my needs AND has the more readily available factory ammunition. The CheyTac is more of a reloader's cartridge and still kind of a rare bird; the 338 Lapua is a well known and well understood cartridge and you can get damned good factory loads from more outlets than the CheyTac.

If you want to discuss it further, you bring the beer.
grin.gif

My pick from these two: 338LM

Reasons:

Factory ammo available from several companies
Factory brass available from several companies
Good bullets available from several companies
Rifles can be kept portable both weight and sizewise
Can be used out to 1600-1700 meters easy and with 250 Scenars 2000m is within reach even though the bullet goes to subsonic speed way before 2000m.

The question should really be which one to choose 408 or 50 BMG. Both are heavy, specialized and expensive to shoot.

Try shooting groups or reactive targets from the knee or stading with 338LM, 408 and .50 BMG. The latter two are prone-only if you really want to hit anything.

338LM can be used as a rifle. 408 or 50 BMG can not really.

I have been shooting a 338 Edge, 375/408 and a 338/408 Snipe-tac. In my opinion the 375 or the 338 Snipe-tac would be manageable at 13 lbs. I intend to build such a rifle very soon. If you are into first rd hits on yonder mountian this is where its at AND in a package lighter than many 308 Sniper rifles. Long eye relief scopes will probably be a good idea on this class of rifle. As long as it dont slap you in the face the recoil shouldnt be a problem. We will see.

what has been your experience with the edge? i have a lefty 700 that is chambered for the .300 RUM and am thinking of a rebarrel job, wondering what my options might be? or should i spend the money and get a lefthanded stiller tac.338 and build with a lapua or norma chambering?

My Edge is built on a Nesika action. There are a lot of nice Edges built on 700 long actions. Shawn Carlock seems to be the go to guy for this kind of work although I am sure any good smithy can do the job. I really like the Edge because I also have a 300 Ultra. I can use the same brass, its just a matter of running a tapered 338 expander ball through the neck and FL through the Edge die. There is usually .004-.005 runout on loaded rds after these procedures and the best accuracy kicks in on the second firing. The one I have now shoots nice, usually in the .2 to .3 range. Your options are endless, it just depends on how much you want to spend. Custom actions are nice but not a necessity. The best shooting most consistant rifle I own is a 308 Rem 660 action with a Broughton 5c #4 barrel built by Jared Joplin. It was supposed to be a kick-around rifle to haul around in the truck. It turned out to be one of my most prized possessions. If you put a good barrel on your 700, bed it in a good stock, there is a good chance it will shoot as well as any. As far as which case. The EDge will hang with about anything until you get into the 408 based rds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1000 YDS. IS FUN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy a Windrunner M-96 receiver and have both. I did, Two barrels, two bolts one reciever, one scope. Best of both worlds. </div></div>

Now there's a man with a brain. Shoulda thunka that myself.

ok, i thinkim gonna save some money and go with the edge, go take a look at the .375 CT thread with the pics of a chassis stock, gonna get me one of them made and a 5 axis cnc mill here in town...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadeyeky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok, i thinkim gonna save some money and go with the edge, go take a look at the .375 CT thread with the pics of a chassis stock, gonna get me one of them made and a 5 axis cnc mill here in town... </div></div>

Speaking of the 338 edge, how readily available are the reamers and dies?

Cost wise .338 lapua (which is what I am saving up for). .408 is about 8 dollars a round you can find factory .338 loads for 3 dollars a round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimResin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cost wise .338 lapua (which is what I am saving up for). .408 is about 8 dollars a round you can find factory .338 loads for 3 dollars a round. </div></div>

Where have you found 338 lapua for $3 a round?

HSM ammo on Snipercentral.com you can buy it for 58 dollars a box of 20.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimResin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cost wise .338 lapua (which is what I am saving up for). .408 is about 8 dollars a round you can find factory .338 loads for 3 dollars a round. </div></div>

Where have you found 338 lapua for $3 a round? </div></div>

Reloading for a 375 cheytac is gonna cost you much less then $3 a round. Then you always have the options of shooting the solids for just a little bit more per round.

im pretty sure redding offers Edge dies, probly the same cost for their regualar die sets? im not sure, im gonna do some more homework... a PTG reamer is like $120, then go, no-go gauges im sure are 30 a peice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimResin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HSM ammo on Snipercentral.com you can buy it for 58 dollars a box of 20. </div></div>

Is that good ammo?

yeah i like it works great. Just out of curiousity where can you find .375 brass and who makes the bullets for it? I heard Seirra had a 350gr SMK for it.

I am building a 416 barrett on all match grade componets. i even had a reamer made for a tight neck chamber. i will give you all an update with my findings. it should be here any day! I talked with Dave from lehigh bullets and he said that a customer reported 3400FPS with a 416 grain bullet which produced a 23 inch group at 3000 yards. i need to see that to believe it but the velocity seems good and the case is awesome it should be fun.

I would pick the 338 Lupua for cost and the ammo is much easier to find.

Its funny, I just had the exact same conversation with a guy very involved in the industry - specifically 408 long guns and this is what he had to say.

338-408 or 338lm straight up.

Reasons -

Cost = lower so you get to shoot more which is the fastest and best way to improve your chances of smashing plate at distances of a mile+.

availability - Always a concern if you want to shoot frequently. Also, in the event of the zombie apocalypse the 338 rounds will be easier to come by. (always a concern.)

application - Honestly unless you are taking out targets behind armored doors at distances close to a mile+, or attempting to stop incoming vbieds you probably dont need the 408. The 338 projectile is more than capable for long range shooting/hunting.

Id save the dough and go some varient of the 338.

Justin - FNG here on the hide

I've owned both and I would choose the .338 Lapua over the standard .408
The .338 Lapua I just built this summer I've shot out past 2400 yards with great accuracy.(YouTube video somewhere here on hide) Recoil is not bad with FTE and better with SHARKS "Jaws" suppressor hanging off the end of it. I will post some pics. Not a bad price per round IF you reload and it will always be more accurate than a .408 out to a mile on paper.

Now not part of your question...the 338/408 is a good choice....but I would still choose the standard .338 over it also for many reasons. IF and that's IF I had to choose only one.

The .375/408 is bad ass for sure and very accurate. But most of what we've seen here at TVP (customers/clients) the 338/408 groups better on paper at 1000 yards as well as a MILE. Keep in mind these rifles are built more for bench shooting than TRUE field tactical rifles so there always going to be more accurate on paper than others. One of the beautys of BR it's shows the TRUE potential of accuracy for a given cartridge.

Hope this helps...

Tom
TVP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru &#8853;</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimResin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cost wise .338 lapua (which is what I am saving up for). .408 is about 8 dollars a round you can find factory .338 loads for 3 dollars a round. </div></div>

Where have you found 338 lapua for $3 a round? </div></div>

Reloading for a 375 cheytac is gonna cost you much less then $3 a round. Then you always have the options of shooting the solids for just a little bit more per round. </div></div>
Reloading th .338lm is about 1$ a round. I pick .338. now if yourr paying for ammo, id go .408

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: burnzone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its funny, I just had the exact same conversation with a guy very involved in the industry - specifically 408 long guns and this is what he had to say.

338-408 or 338lm straight up.

Reasons -

Cost = lower so you get to shoot more which is the fastest and best way to improve your chances of smashing plate at distances of a mile+.

availability - Always a concern if you want to shoot frequently. Also, in the event of the zombie apocalypse the 338 rounds will be easier to come by. (always a concern.)

application - Honestly unless you are taking out targets behind armored doors at distances close to a mile+, or attempting to stop incoming vbieds you probably dont need the 408. The 338 projectile is more than capable for long range shooting/hunting.

Id save the dough and go some varient of the 338.

Justin - FNG here on the hide

</div></div>

I have to dissagree here. When it comes down to it the 338/408 is gonna cost penny's more then the 338 lapua. Your shooting the same bullets and the brass is almost the same price. The difference between powder is 35-40 grains per round. Which does add up but the performance is tough to beat. Yes the barrel wont last as long but you wont get every 338 LM to strech out past 1800 unless you set it up more like a br gun and shoot very specific high bc solid bullets.