• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 LP neck sizing

gsxcorey

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2011
I bought 300gr sierra rounds. fired them once.
then neck sized them and trimmed the brass so they are all uniform.

Now doing my first reloads and my question is when i chamber the round, most go in fine, some take tad bit of force, but nearly all when i try and pull the bolt back i have to tap it. Like they are sticking in there a bit. Is this normal as the round is fire formed for the chamber so it's much tighter, but also more accurate?

Also I measured where the round touches the land and I'm backing the bullets about .01 off the lands. Sound good?

I just want to make sure this normal or if I'm missing something?

Re: .338 LP neck sizing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gsxcorey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought 300gr sierra rounds. fired them once.
then neck sized them and trimmed the brass so they are all uniform.

Now doing my first reloads and my question is when i chamber the round, most go in fine, some take tad bit of force, but nearly all when i try and pull the bolt back i have to tap it. Like they are sticking in there a bit. Is this normal as the round is fire formed for the chamber so it's much tighter, but also more accurate?

Also I measured where the round touches the land and I'm backing the bullets about .01 off the lands. Sound good?

I just want to make sure this normal or if I'm missing something? </div></div>

Are you new to reloading?

What weapon?

What COAL are you loading the rounds at?

Probably need more of a shoulder bump.

.01" is .010" thousands off the lands. How are you measuring this?

You're not giving us much to work with.

Chris

Yes, I am new to reloading.

I bought the hornady tool to measure the distance to the lands. I then just took off .010 and that is the overall length i'm pressing the bullet down to.

It's a savage 110ba. 3.710 is what i'm setting it to as the lands are at 3.720

After every shot I'm going to have to bump the shoulder? As I said, these rounds were only fired once. I thought I would be able to fire them once more or a few times before having to bump the shoulder?

okay, i'm gonna full length size them and make them the same coal as the 300gr sierra's i was firing.

What brass are you using? I've heard that some brass has trouble with extraction in the Savages. There are threads on here about it. The answer was to use Lapua brass.

Chris is right. You may have to bump the should back a tick.

Use Lapua brass. I had the same trouble neck sizing until I neck turned and inside neck reamed the brass. Also make sure the brass does not need trimmed. I agree with the previous posts that the sholder needs bumped back more.