• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .338 neck clearance

Texar2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2008
Texas
I posted this in the bolt action section but haven't got many hits. I am about to start chambering my new build and had a question regarding neck clearance. The reamer I have is a JGS 338 RUM Saami With a neck that measures .372. Loaded rounds are measuring .365 in the neck area. Also the body is measuring about .006 clearance for full length sized brass. I feel like I might need a tighter chamber than this. What are you thoughts? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for the info. It will be a multi purpose rifle. The more I think about it the more comfortable I am with the dimensions. I do not want to have to neck turn my cases. Also I am not used to building large magnums and I am beginning to think that the extra room is necessary for proper expansion and contraction. Thank you for the info.