• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 338 Norma barrel(s) for Savage 110BA

michael_aos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Recently bought my first Savage -- a 110BA in 338 Lapua.

I don't really know much about Savage's, but it was my impression that one claim-to-fame was that it's pretty straightforward to install a new barrel. I may be entirely mistaken.

I was just thinking, since there are presumably a bunch of them out there now, maybe it would make sense for someone to offer a "drop in" replacement barrel (or kit) in 338 Norma.

Would something like that be feasible? Or not so much?

Re: 338 Norma barrel(s) for Savage 110BA

If you can find someone to make the drop inbarrel, you will not have to change anything other than the barrel and check headspace when done. They both use the same bolt face. McGowen, Shilen, and douglas all do drop ins for Savage 110. Contact them and see if they have the reamer for the .338 Norma guessing they do. I helped a friend change a barrel on a Savage be ready to replace the recoil lug on it. It did not even begin to come off as easy as they say it will. Good luck

Shilen will do it for sure. I got a SS match barrel from them in 338LM for the 110BA. Id assume they also have the norma reamer. Dont think McGowen offered the 338lm for their drop-ins.

Make sure you get it in a large shank.

I wasn't so much looking for a new barrel -- or someone to do the work -- at this point.

I was just wondering if it would be POSSIBLE or fairly straightforward to put together somewhat of a DIY barrel-swap "kit" for the Savage 110BA.

If it's not a big deal to swap barrels, then I might try and help facilitate putting together something to help other people do it too. Maybe a "run" or "group buy" of 10 or something.

But if it's a major undertaking and beyond the scope of a "kitchen table" gunsmith, then it's not something I would pursue.

I just really don't know how big a deal it is to swap a barrel on a Savage. I kind of had it in my head that was one of the advantages of the Savage 110 platform, but I may be mistaken.

I'm not a gunsmith, nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
--

I wouldn't even rate it as high as a kitchen table job.

I've done several Savage barrel swaps while sitting in my easy chair.

Theres no kit that you would need to put together. As stated above, the Lapua boltface is the same as the norma boltface. All that would be needed is a new barrel and a set of headspace gauges. And obviously the savage barrel nut wrench and an action vise of some kind.