• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Norma Magnum brass

Just Macca

Mealteam 6
Minuteman
May 13, 2013
Australia
Hello all, I have a few questions. I posted this in the reloading section but didn't get any takers. I put it down to being a little quiet here at the moment.

I have some once fired RWS 338 Lapua magnum brass that I got for free. I've cleaned it up and it looks excellent. My questions are:

1. It was fired in a Blaser LR2. Is it possible it has a "military spec" chamber that's a little oversized for reliability? If so, will full length resizing put it back to spec? Or is there a special die that takes it a bit further?

2. Is RWS 338LM brass of decent enough quality to bother?

3. Finally and hardest to answer. Is it possible to form 338 Norma mag brass out of 338LM? Would I need a Hydroforming die or something similar? Cream of Wheat? Or just not possible.

Thankyou.

I asked a mate of mine who's had a fair bit of experience with the blaser and he's saying that it shouldn't be a drama with a quick run through with a full length sizing die.

I looked at the option of reforming 300 norma brass from RWS 338 lap brass but I think it'll be too much of an effort to bother for me. I'll just snatch up norma brass when it's cheap from rebel gunworks.

I'd say that if you have the time though, you may as well give it a crack. I don't know how many reloads the norma brass is giving you but another mate is onto his 11th reload with some of his RWS brass in 300WM, running 210 bergers at 2950fps out of a 26 inch barrel. That kind of reliability is attractive with the RWS brass, so I'd say giving it a crack is worth it.

I looked into the same thing , it was 3 custom diesand around 500$ to have them made. I chose to buy Norma also

Here's my 2 cents, sell the lapua mag brass, to offset the cost of the norma mag brass.
xdeano

Brownells sells .338 NM for 208.00/100 (2.08/pc). The price in that link is 2.78/pc (139.00/50 = 278.00/100)

We're in Aus, postage would bump the price up. Everything here is expensive regarding firearms, it's ridiculously frustrating.

I wonder how feasible reaming the chamber to 338Lap is? 338Norma brass is scarce in Oz.

You would have to cut the chamber off at the shoulder to rechamber to LM, the NM chamber is shorter and fatter or go Lapua Improved with the taper that Edds suggested.

We're in Aus, postage would bump the price up. Everything here is expensive regarding firearms, it's ridiculously frustrating.

Oops! I knew Y'ALL were, but I didn't catch that Rebel Gunworks is, too. The name, and the Confederate flag on their website made me think it was an American company, and you were having it shipped in from Stateside either way.

Option 2. A local outfit will supply a barrel, chamber, contour and fit it to an extension for $800AUD. An extension is $500AUD. A long action SRS mag is $120AUD. An SRS bolt is hopefully not more than $500AUD. Thats just shy of $2K for a conversion.

338Lap SRS conversions are generally near $3k plus in Oz. Maybe I could just get a 30-338 Lapua spun up instead, better brass than the Norma variants too. Also, my local 1000m range has a limit to 30cal magnums.

Sounds fine, but I load both Lapua brass in 338 Lapua, and Norma brass in 338 Norma. I find the Norma 338 NM brass to be every bit the equivalent of the Lapua 338 LM brass, so not really an advantage there.

^^^
Agreed. Lapua, Nosler/Norma - top quality, which drives the price. RWS is nice if you can find it - really thick though.

That's good to hear. I must have drank too much of the "Lapua or bust" Coolaid. Norma brass is half the cost of Lap brass in Oz.