• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Norma: What Action and who to build

dmtsc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2006
Virginia
I'm thinking of having a 338 Norma built just for fun. I could go full custom and if I did what action(magazine fed) and who would you guys have build it? What about buying AI AX 338 Lapua and reconfigure it to 338 Norma? I know it's going to cost either way and not really worried about the difference cost wise because it's going to be expensive either way. I have some ideas but more is sometimes better.
Thanks David

I been sticking with GAP lately building my rifles. I have a fondness for the 300 and 338 Normas. I'm really looking into a 300 norma, but if you go AI 338 LM I would just stick with that but your can make it a switch bbl rig really easy.

But if not there are many other great smiths around that will do a great job.

In no order I would trust...

William Roscoe (LA Precision)
Tom Sarver (Thunder Valley Precision)
Terry Cross (KMW)
GAP (GAP)
Chad Dixon (LOng Rifles)
Robert Snyder (RWS)
Jered Joplin (APA)

And there are many others.

As far as actions, I would look into a Defiance, Stiller, Bat or a used Surgeon. But I would really see what the smith said would be best for time and what they can get.

Good luck on that awesome cartridge.

Reactions: shanejohnson2002
My .338 Norma is being built as we speak. Based on some excellent, experienced and trusted advice, I chose to go with a Defiance Deviant action, and a Rock Creek 5R M24 contour bbl. finished to 26 in. For the build I decided to go with Robert Snyder, primarily because I learned he has been building rifles for this cartridge since before it was even known as the ".338 Norma", including some of the earlier developmental predecessor versions of it.

That said, as far as I know, all the development of this cartridge was done on a standard Rem 700 long action (with an enlarged bolt face, of course), and the cartridge was designed to work well with this setup. Also, as you probably know, the whole cartridge concept was designed around the Sierra 300 gr. SMK, so that's what I plan to run.

Reactions: Kenneth Sample
I bought an AIAX, 338 norma USA reamer, and barrel and sent them off unfired to a smith for rebarrel. When it came back i pulled the 338 lapua barrel and sold it here unfired.

It hammers. I can load 300 berger otms outside the neck/shoulder junction and magazine feed them at 2846fps from a 29" barrel. No reason i can decipher to shoot a 338 lapua and jam the bullets way into the powder column so you can mag feed. Brass is the best brass I've ever seen, bar perhaps 6.5x47 Lapua brass.

An AI action would obviously be awesome. If you like traditional stocks however, consider a Badger Ordnance action. Probably save a bit of cash, too.

I'm thinking of having a 338 Norma built just for fun. I could go full custom and if I did what action(magazine fed) and who would you guys have build it? What about buying AI AX 338 Lapua and reconfigure it to 338 Norma? I know it's going to cost either way and not really worried about the difference cost wise because it's going to be expensive either way. I have some ideas but more is sometimes better.
Thanks David
I have one in a DTA and love it. Took it out to a mile today. It was beautiful

Here's one built on a Stiller. Any of the suggested smiths will be fine, choose one that gives you the best confidence in their work.

I like to shoot animals and then eat them. This one was tasty.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 111
I've got old Win. m70 in 30-06 not being used could some talented person rework the bolt and use it?

I would do some bolt thrust calculations before deciding on an action. This advice came to me from AJ at Bighorn Actions and he knows his stuff. Just a thought.

Regards, Paul

My first choice for that cartridge would be a BAT HR action or a BAT Tactical Action from Wolf Precision. They have a version made for a 338 Lapua that should work well for that Norma case.

My next custom will be on the Badger M2013 action, mainly due to the extra long barrel threads. The stiff barrel/action will be very beneficial for the suppressor hanging on the muzzle. Good luck with your build.

My .338 Norma is being built as we speak. Based on some excellent, experienced and trusted advice, I chose to go with a Defiance Deviant action, and a Rock Creek 5R M24 contour bbl. finished to 26 in. For the build I decided to go with Robert Snyder, primarily because I learned he has been building rifles for this cartridge since before it was even known as the ".338 Norma", including some of the earlier developmental predecessor versions of it.

That said, as far as I know, all the development of this cartridge was done on a standard Rem 700 long action (with an enlarged bolt face, of course), and the cartridge was designed to work well with this setup. Also, as you probably know, the whole cartridge concept was designed around the Sierra 300 gr. SMK, so that's what I plan to run.
What kind of money are we talking?

An AI would be an excellent host if you are a fan of their rifles.

If you want to go custom, I think Surgeon 1581XL would be an excellent choice to build off of. I have my .300NM built on a Defiance Deviant action with .750 bolt and polished rails with DLC finish, and it's a really nice action, no complaints there.

For gunsmiths, any of the commonly referred to gunsmiths on SH would be a great choice.

I will always recommend Jeff Hayes at Rivers Bend Gun Company. He and his team have turned out rifle after rifle that are just flat out lasers. He's done 2 for me and many more for the other guys in my shooting group. They are all amazing rifles. I've been in the shop and watched the skill, attention to detail and care he puts into his builds. Not to mention he treats every customer like a long time friend (which is how he and I met and have become friends).

Give him a call and tell him I sent ya. It might make a difference ?. 18163864021

Robert Gradous has the pixie dust for Norma builds. He uses Surgeon XL's and 1086's with Gre-Tan modified bolt faces. 338 Warthog(his improved Norma design), 338NM, and 300NM are all absolute hammers. Usually one hole guns with Krieger barrels. If you want the best, use the best. You will never be disappointed. His work speaks for itself.