• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Options

KevinU

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2009
Colorado
Always been interested by the ELR stuff. The two ranges I shoot at only go out to 1050. Couldn't justify a ELR rifle build w/o having access to at least a mile. Soon I'll have access to a longer distance private range. We'll have two shooting positions, 2100yds and 2650yds max. I'm focus on the 2100yd distance.

Kind of narrow it down to either a 338 Edge or a 338LM Improved of some sort. Will build on a single shot.

Having a tough time finding info on these, how they compare for ease of tuning, brass life.....all that stuff. Also dies, reamer prints.....

I know this is slim, anyone have experience with both? Shot out barrels...?

Thanks

http://www.elr-resources.com/page14.html

Here are a bunch of different rounds to choose from.
Personally I'd probably go with a 338 snipetac. Then if you outgrow what you have, you'll already have the equipment, just a barrel swap. Just a thought. I did a 338 norma mag and I wish I would have done a 375ct.

Xdeano

Always been interested by the ELR stuff. The two ranges I shoot at only go out to 1050. Couldn't justify a ELR rifle build w/o having access to at least a mile. Soon I'll have access to a longer distance private range. We'll have two shooting positions, 2100yds and 2650yds max. I'm focus on the 2100yd distance.

Kind of narrow it down to either a 338 Edge or a 338LM Improved of some sort. Will build on a single shot.

Having a tough time finding info on these, how they compare for ease of tuning, brass life.....all that stuff. Also dies, reamer prints.....

I know this is slim, anyone have experience with both? Shot out barrels...?

Thanks

The cartridges you note will work fine at 2100 and at least the 338 LM Imp can be pushed to do 2650.

It appears from your post that you have an action with a 338 LM bolt face. As such, I'd recommend the 338 LM "Improved". Also appears that you realize that there are a bunch of 338 LM "Improved" variants. The issue will be matching the dies to the reamer. One significant advantage of going 338 LM anything is the availability of Lapua, and now Peterson, brass.

BTW, IMO the only advantage the base 338 Edge has over an improved 338 LM is that there is a much better chance that you will have a chamber-to-die match. Defensive Edge offers a die set (http://www.defensiveedge.net/index.php/products?start=15) but they do not offer a reamer (at least it is not shown on their site)...but I suspect they will be more than happy to provide the associated PTG and/or JGS reamer number. They also have a +P version that will probably be close to matching the velocities of most 338 LM Imp variants - may use the same die set since most (all?) of the +P improvement is in the long throat.

As far as dies for a 338 LM Imp variant, I suggest you have your smith cut dies with the chambering reamer he uses - preferably a resize reamer but he probably will not have one. Newlon makes blanks - http://www.newlonprecision.com/

Tuning is tuning. Every rifle combo is a bit different and you will need to step through the process. Lapua and Peterson brass will likely yield better brass life (over the Bertram that Defensive Edge offers - for the base 338 Edge - and the various RUM and other 338 LM offerings).

As far as shooting out barrels, that's pretty much a function of how hot you load. In that regard you will be your own worst enemy. One thing I STRONGLY recommend is as long and as stiff a barrel as you are willing to deal with. I have a .338 Allen Xpress +P and run 300 Bergers at 3244 from a 36" straight cylinder barrel. That equates to well under 1000 rounds to "shot out".

Hope the above helps. E-mail me if you want to discuss further - [email protected]

Neck up a 300 Win Mag to 338....that's what I did. 28" barrel pushes 285gr to 2660 fps with a mild 72.5gr RL26.

For the .338 Lapua, I met a local gunsmith that builds ELR rifles for the Border Patrol and DPS...he was shooting his 338 Lapua out to a mile next to me. His current rifle has 5,000 rounds and was repeatedly ringing the 24"x24" plate at 1760 yards. If you want to further enhance barrel life, I'd get your barrels melonite/nitride treated by H&M for about $200 per barreled action.Will super-harden the throat to protect it from erosion.

Everyone will have opinions of what they feel is the best all around ELR round so do a little research.

I have ran the 338LM as well as a 375 Wildcat round, this does not make me an expert but yet it has some valid info.

The rounds I feel of value and I have none that will be listed but yet they all will show their true colors in ELR
338LM AI -- a very good performer with the good BC 300 grainers
300 Norma Mag - here again a true ELR build without a doubt
375 Snipetac - this bumps you into a new level of true preformance and extended distance accuracy. Here a 352 Cutting Edge MTACs and the 361 gr. Flat Line from Warner Tools screams with ELR preformance. -- My shooting Partner Runs a 375 Snipetac

Shooting something that has more to add then anything here I have listed I would not hesitate on any of the 3 options I listed they are all are true ELR/ULR performers. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one of what I listed at the King of 2 Mile event in June, it should be a fun week of pushing the limits in New Mexico, looking forward to the trip.

Note the 338 Snipetac is a great round but honestly more for a slow rate of fire and hunting - it is a great round without a doubt but also a barrel burner, this comment was made not by me but from the individual that designed this round years ago.

Cheers
oneshot

The cartridges you note will work fine at 2100 and at least the 338 LM Imp can be pushed to do 2650.

It appears from your post that you have an action with a 338 LM bolt face. As such, I'd recommend the 338 LM "Improved". Also appears that you realize that there are a bunch of 338 LM "Improved" variants. The issue will be matching the dies to the reamer. One significant advantage of going 338 LM anything is the availability of Lapua, and now Peterson, brass.

BTW, IMO the only advantage the base 338 Edge has over an improved 338 LM is that there is a much better chance that you will have a chamber-to-die match. Defensive Edge offers a die set (http://www.defensiveedge.net/index.php/products?start=15) but they do not offer a reamer (at least it is not shown on their site)...but I suspect they will be more than happy to provide the associated PTG and/or JGS reamer number. They also have a +P version that will probably be close to matching the velocities of most 338 LM Imp variants - may use the same die set since most (all?) of the +P improvement is in the long throat.

As far as dies for a 338 LM Imp variant, I suggest you have your smith cut dies with the chambering reamer he uses - preferably a resize reamer but he probably will not have one. Newlon makes blanks - http://www.newlonprecision.com/

Tuning is tuning. Every rifle combo is a bit different and you will need to step through the process. Lapua and Peterson brass will likely yield better brass life (over the Bertram that Defensive Edge offers - for the base 338 Edge - and the various RUM and other 338 LM offerings).

As far as shooting out barrels, that's pretty much a function of how hot you load. In that regard you will be your own worst enemy. One thing I STRONGLY recommend is as long and as stiff a barrel as you are willing to deal with. I have a .338 Allen Xpress +P and run 300 Bergers at 3244 from a 36" straight cylinder barrel. That equates to well under 1000 rounds to "shot out".

Hope the above helps. E-mail me if you want to discuss further - [email protected]

Thought defensive edges reamer was proprietary? I know they went on and on about how long it took to get the that dimensions right. With the new 4" mags available to us now, it'd seem a mag fed 338lm improved with a long throats would be viable. I think it'd be cool to run 300bergers mostly then step up to a solid for stretching out past 2k. I have access to just shy of 2k any time I want but can get out to over 3k at another property so this 338lm improved holds a lot of allure. Do you have any load data, realistic barrel life or ballistics data on whatever version? I'll most likely build a 300 Norma first to dip my toes into the magnum big boys as I have over 2k worth of heavy 308 pills on the shelf but after that 338lm improved I believe will be the cartridge in a 30" barrel so I can still run my 338 can.

Thought defensive edges reamer was proprietary? I know they went on and on about how long it took to get the that dimensions right. With the new 4" mags available to us now, it'd seem a mag fed 338lm improved with a long throats would be viable. I think it'd be cool to run 300bergers mostly then step up to a solid for stretching out past 2k. I have access to just shy of 2k any time I want but can get out to over 3k at another property so this 338lm improved holds a lot of allure. Do you have any load data, realistic barrel life or ballistics data on whatever version? I'll most likely build a 300 Norma first to dip my toes into the magnum big boys as I have over 2k worth of heavy 308 pills on the shelf but after that 338lm improved I believe will be the cartridge in a 30" barrel so I can still run my 338 can.

.338 Edge reamers:

1. http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/309-cal-348-cal-nopix-chamber-reamers/1997-338-edge-reamer.html - presumably this is the "official" one

2. http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/309-cal-348-cal-nopix-chamber-reamers/595-338-edge-match-reamer.html

3. http://www.jgstools.com/32caliber.html

Load data and barrel life - your experience may differ; dip your feet and learn

What new 4" mags?