• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 or .375/408 build questions

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
I would like to build a ELR rifle.

I understand that their are a lot of actions you can build a .338 Lap Mag with. I think it is more limited for the .375/408.

What would be the best action to use for building each of these calibers and why?

Is it possible to build a .375/408 repeater, or are all the actions for it single shot?

Re: .338 or .375/408 build questions

A 408 repeater? As much as each one of those rounds cost I would cringe every time I pulled the trigger.

What's you definition of ELR?

Answer that and you'll know which rifle you need to build. Honestly, figure that out and then you can concentrate on the parts.

Stick with 338 when your ready to take on 375CT you'll know it.Its a whole different world contact "Later" on here and go to his web site for some light reading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">contact "Later" on here and go to his web site for some light reading. </div></div>

This is THEE way to go!

.338LM is plenty for most long range shooters. .408 and 375/408 will take you farther, into 2000+ yard arena, but at a price. The main cost difference is consumables such as bullets and brass, as reloading tools are more readily available now and a one-time cost. .338LM brass is still pricey, but a tad bit cheaper than .408 brass and 250 and 300gr Scenars are dirt cheap compared to the CNC-lathed solids you need for the other calibers (often $2.25ea). So there's a substantial price for admission.

Still, if you have access to extreme range areas to shoot, by all means consider a .408 or 375/408. I personally think it would be more economical to start with a .338LM and work that sucker out as far as you can go, honing your skills and building up ELR shooting experience. Then when you're ready, move up the caliber and the distance.