• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Razorback

ryan85

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2010
Oklahoma
Why is there not more out there on the .338 Razorback? I've got one and it's quieter than any of my 300 Blackouts and my 8.6 blackouts. Way easier to load for than the 8.6. Is it because the .427 bolt face? I'm really wanting to build one in a bolt gun but the bolt face has been an issue.

Reactions: JDBhunting365
338 Spectre has been around forever and it never really caught on either. There have been numerous guns built in 224 Valkyrie and 6.8 that have the right bolt face if you really want one. When you are using a standard short action the 8.6 gives you a lot more capability for supersonic use.

Are you only going to do subsonic? It's a super niche category so it's tough to get support.

Why is there not more out there on the .338 Razorback? I've got one and it's quieter than any of my 300 Blackouts and my 8.6 blackouts. Way easier to load for than the 8.6. Is it because the .427 bolt face? I'm really wanting to build one in a bolt gun but the bolt face has been an issue.
Have you had a chance to use it on critters or just paper/steel? Something about this round just trips my trigger, but I’m interested in hearing about actual performance.
Looks like with some of the makers bullets and about 7grn of powder you could have a devastating deer/hog killer out to at least 300m that sounded like a mouse fart. But curious to hear actual user experience before i spring into a Wildcat.

Have you had a chance to use it on critters or just paper/steel? Something about this round just trips my trigger, but I’m interested in hearing about actual performance.
Looks like with some of the makers bullets and about 7grn of powder you could have a devastating deer/hog killer out to at least 300m that sounded like a mouse fart. But curious to hear actual user experience before i spring into a Wildcat.
I haven't had the chance to shoot anything but paper and steel yet. I've got loads worked up with Maker 275gr bullets and just got some 305gr bullets from Paul to test out. Hoping to kill some hogs soon.

Reactions: Owens76
Sure like the name !!
Pig Soooie !!

I was all about building one but couldn't ever get Ron to chamber a barrel for me or commit to anything. So I just bought the 338 Spectre dies and brass. Gunsmith already has the reamer, dropped a .338 1:6.5" off with him, and a SPC bolt faced Origin.
Wish i could afford an origin

I've got one in the works now. Barrel coming from Ron and using a Howa 1500 mini action. This thing is going to be fun!!

Reactions: JDBhunting365
338-7mmBR ? Yes 308 bolt face, etc.. and someone said spectre.. nothing new.

Props to the guy for wildcatting however, alwsys good to see.

Here's my dime's worth but feel free to give me some change back. This subject is relative to the platform being used. The 8.6Blackout is relegated to platforms based on 308 size cartridges. The .338Spectre was an awesome concept based on the AR15 platform and it's execution wasn't pushed to the consumer as the "Latest Greatest" thing to be oriented as someone's cash cow product. Time has a way to prove the neigh Sayers just plain ole ignorant and without vision as proof in the case of the 300Blackout. The effort of refining a cartridge or weapon system not only require money and time but vision as well. The .338 has a lot parties that are interested but are cautions because of the visionless "so called keyboard experts" that don't add anything but negativity that's opinion based instead experienced based...and to you guys ,spend some money or shut up and allow the doers to provide real data... It's sad that most of these guys can't comprehend the application of the different types of ballistics with stating the obvious of those believing velocity being the primary way to achieve energy transfer from projectiles
New takers are coming into the fold like Maker Bullets that bullets that will expand at subsonic velocities and Mos-Tek custom barrel maker that will cook a .338Spectre in multiple flavors with 1:6.5T or 1:3T rifling. With the advent of the 8.6Blackout the proof of a subsonic .338 projectile was stated with an exclamation mark by taking some of Africa's hardest to kill animals....Even "Black Death" had to take a dirt nap when exposed to it's destructive power! And at this point, even the nano-sonic .338 Razorback has to be considered a real killer. After all "SUBSONIC is subsonic!"
For the shooters who welcome innovation there's hope. Some guy, somewhere with his head above the clouds will provide a new or different view that many could not see on their own. Thanks to you all that go the extra mile to innovate.