• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 RUM in Savage - stock help (AICS mag)

ace_m82

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2012
First post so here's hoping I don't screw it up.

I've got a Stevens 200 in a LA originally in 7mm. Well I threw a 338 RUM Shilen barrel on it 'cause why not right? Now most of you will realize the RUM won't fit in a normal LA mag. Well I handload so I just push the bullet in a bit more and slightly modified the mag (and stock) to fit the wider cartridge and barrel.

The thing is accurate but I haven't tested it that much. But I didn't like only being able to hold 3 rounds in the gun and a slow reload. What I need is a detachable mag.

So I waited until somewhat reasonably priced bottom metal came down the pipe. Now that CDI makes the metal for a LA Savage I'm GTG. But I want to replace the plastic stock as it is pretty flexible and I want something better suited to the more long range use. So I'm thinking a Stockade PD special/Tactical stock with the proper bottom metal put in. The other reason I want to replace the stock is that I already have 80rds loaded up for the gun and want to be able to put the original stock back on if the new one doesn't like that load anymore for whatever reason.

What I need to know is if a RUM case will fit in a 300 Win AICS mag. So can someone who has this combo (this mag and a RUM cartridge) test this for me please? If it doesn't fit (width, not lengthwise) I'm just wasting my time and money.

Oh, and if anyone thinks they have a better idea what to do I'm open for suggestion. But I want to keep cost reasonable. I built the gun for about $800 and don't want to go off the deep end with it.

If anyone does this for me I'll give them a cookie.*

*may not really give you a cookie

Re: 338 RUM in Savage - stock help (AICS mag)

please?

I had CDI make a bottom metal for a savage long action that used CIP mags. Machined the back of the mag well to 3.800". Feeds perfectly and you can stretch the coal to about 3.750". Just a thought. Jeff can set you up.

Anybody got one of these mags and willing to test if a RUM case will fit in it for me? If it doesn't, what do I have to modify? A little filing?

My 300 WM AICS Mag seems to be limited around 3.5625 (3 9/16). I think it's going to be a hair too short. But, I'm not an expert and didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

I'm most concerned about width. I can deal with it being a little short.

I'm pretty sure the reinforcing ribs will need to be filed. I just want to know if it can fit otherwise.

Thanks