• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 RUM vs. 338 Lapua

david walter

Insightful commentator
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2007
Out west, but not too far west
Is there any real advantage to the 338 Lapua over the 338 RUM?

Velocities look similar. Is accuracy similar, as well?

I concede that the brass on the Lapua might be better. What else?

Re: 338 RUM vs. 338 Lapua

The Lapua costs more, has a "cool" factor, the brass myth is just that, excellent, expensive but REAL impact on accuracy pales beside the rest of the rig and shooter/spotter ability. Twist seems to be an unresolved issue with some TRGs.
Both will kick the snot out of you, are very noisy and are IMO a very specialized weapon that damned few of us could ever use to its maximum potential.

That said, if you want one get it. I hate to think how many "projects" I have built "just because", but they were/are all fun!

good shooting!

Having owned both, fired 2000+ rounds out of my 338RUM's and several hundred out of my 2-Lapua's, Mr. Humble is spot on.
You will not see any difference in accuracy based on the cartridge alone. And the Lapua brass is not any better than Remington brass, it just cost more, plain and simple.

Wondering if the S@B group buy is all spoken for..Thanks

where can i get a rum barreled action. i have a post goin (338 rum) if you want to jump in and help with a build.

+1 on the info. had many Lapuas for a long time and the rums will do anything they will. Matter a fact the rums I have had have not been as finicky as my LMs especially with lighter bullets. I do think the Lapua brass is better though, u can run the hell out of it but its twice the price. RUM is in no way a step child imo. Get what you like best because they both perform.

6 of one...half a dozen of another.
Don't forget the 338/300 RUM as well!
Shooting the 300gr SMK's is more fun than oughta be legal.

Twist seems to be an unresolved issue with some TRGs..... old info

+1 on most of what has been said however the issue with the TRGs have been solved. All the new ones come with a 1:10 now.