• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 rum

nathon

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2009
cleveland, tn
whats your opinion on a 338 rum? yes it will have a brake and good stock to dampen the recoil. ive tried asking the same question on other forums just to hear get a 308 or 30-06, i have a sps308, win 270 for hunting, now i want to build a custom 338. it is not a need, it is a want. probally turn into a safe queen, but its what im considering right now. thanks for any opinions or recomendations.

Re: 338 rum

I would only if you were planning on shooting consistently OVER 600+ yards with it.

I would just buy that one for sale by that one guy already built to max specs and looks great in the for sale section, oh wait that would be the gun I am selling.

Look at the bullets BC of 500 to 850 and the speed of 3,000 fps and that tells all..

what kind of brake and barrel combo? i at least want a varmit contour(medium to heavy). add a little weight to that beast. do you guys like b and c stocks, or do perfer mcmillian. about 750 is what im limited to on parents property. i know .308 can do that but i need an excuse for a rum. the 338 seem to be an awesome round, whether its 338 rum or lapua, they seem to dominate down range. you guys are very helpful, i'll never use another forum.

its been awhile since ive been on here. does anyone play with a .338 rum. im looking for a sendero....but any bull barrel will work.

If I were to go with a 338 cal, it would be a 338 edge, and prolly wouldn't come out of the safe unless it was going to be used past 1000.

Why not a 338 win mag if its only for 750 yards and you have your heart set on a 338 cal...

the first large caliber rifle i shot was a 338rum. got broke in right. it had a brake and was loud as heck. but it got a fire burning. ive wanted one every since. i will have to reload cause its not very economical to shoot factory loads. as fas far as target shooting under 750 i have a .308 for that. the 338 will just fill that need. it will be probally be a safe queen, only shot every now and then. it will be my project "poormans lapua"

Well get a 338 edge then. It uses 300 RUM brass necked up, holds more than 338 rum brass, the ballistics are supposed to match or exceed 338 LM specs (big debate depending who you talk to). The 300 rum brass is cheaper and easier to find than either 338rum or 338 lm brass.

its a consideration at this point. after christmas im going to buy my next project rifle. 338 edge would be a rebarreled 300rum, right? ive been considering these wildcats. have you ever shot one? need a range report:)

You could either rebarrel any MAG action to get a 338 edge, or I believe you could even get a 338 rum and have the chamber re-cut, but to get the velocity advantages of the EDGE you want at least a 28" barrel. Check out some of the info from Defensive Edge (Sean Carlock knows the round in and out) or check it out at longrangehunting.com, alot of the guys over there have some majr long ditance kills on large game witih them. Theres some youtube videos of Shaun taking a deer at over 1000 yards with one, and another vid of him shooting paper at 1602 yrds.

whats the biggest problem with a rum? it was the first big rifle i shot. i was impressed by the authority.

Well there isn't a problem with it. But if you are going to build a rifle, why not get more velocity which will give you more range. Plus if your hand loading the 300 rum brass is easier to come by and cheaper.

If you think the 338 rum had authority a 338 edge would have more authority.

ive been livin under a rock for the past year or two. i dint know you can buy a 700p mlr 338lapua for around $1200. hard to find, but i believe i just figured out my next rifle. always wanted(not needed) but wanted a 338 lapua, but the price of the gun is usually around 3k then brass. i cant afford that, but now a rifle in my price range. whats your opinions on this rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10/22sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its been awhile since ive been on here. does anyone play with a .338 rum. im looking for a sendero....but any bull barrel will work. </div></div>

I have a Sendero with a brake (I don't know the make) and it shoots like a dream. The recoil is nill with LOTS of power.