• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 338 scope mount

jambau

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2010
PA
I just purchased a Barrett 98 in 338 Lapua and I'm looking for recommendations on scope mounts. Will be using a 34mm tube.

Last edited:
Get a Spuhr and be done with it. I wasted a lot of $$$$$ trying to figure out why LM wasn't consistent only to find the scope was sliding in a bad mount.

When sending expensive ammo down range, don't skimp on the mount.

I have several American Rifle M10 mounts and they are good, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steel head
Get a Spuhr and be done with it. I wasted a lot of $$$$$ trying to figure out why LM wasn't consistent only to find the scope was sliding in a bad mount.

When sending expensive ammo down range, don't skimp on the mount.

I have several American Defense M10 mounts and they are good, too.

If you don’t mind me asking what other mounts did u try? That didn’t hold?

Arc qd-l m10 or the spuhr. I’ve had good results with both. If you don’t need the ability to add pic mounts to your scope The m10 qd-L is simpler and what I prefer since it only takes one screw for mounting. I use spuhr for my simrad mounts. Otherwise m10 rings or m10 qd-L unimount

If you don’t mind me asking what other mounts did u try? That didn’t hold?

I am still kicking myself in the balls over it, but here you go:

I got an Armalite AR-30A1 right when they came out. I purchased a SWFA 5-20HD to go on top of her, and (sigh) decided to use the SWFA mount that came with the scope during their X-Mas deals.

It didn't do the job. I had roaming shots on the vertical plane, yet the horizontal was pretty well aligned. At 1000 it was exaggerated. Looking back it should have been very obvious, but I just had to keep shooting because I'm a dumb, stubborn neaderthal that believed it can't be the gear, it has to be my shooting. My father about lost his shit because he started blaming his reloading, thinking the velocity was varying thus causing the vertical fliers. We chrony'ed the rounds and found very little variance. It hit me like a sledge hammer when I was putting the rifle away and saw sliding mount lines on the HD, and immediately facepalmed. Scope was fine, my pride took time to heal.

Since then I don't screw around with the mount. I chucked that piece of shit and preach to anyone that will listen that a quality mount will save you money and anguish.

Last edited:
Reactions: TangoSierra916
I just upgraded to a Spuhr on my 338 AI due to my scope slipping. Spend the money up front.

I’ve got 4 spuhr mounts and 8 ARC m10 rings or mounts. I’m a fan of both.

The 338 wore the ARC m10 and had no issues.

I recently had a mishap and my match rifle took a fall and landed on the windage turret. Zero slippage, zero was spot on. Razor gen ii in M10 rings.

My rifles that wear spuhr do so only because I need simrad mounting capability.

When installing scopes I find using m10 rings easier with only one screw to torque and scopes don’t rotate. The spuhr leveling wedge works with some scopes but not all depending on the dimensions of the parralax dial. Then keeping the reticle oriented while you tighten 12 screws is ass pain.

There are lots of good option out there. My opinion is you don’t necessarily need a spuhr mount unless you need their capability. Just don’t buy junk.

I love the M10 rings, all my rifles have moved on to M10 rings, including my .300NM.

Very simple setup - I much prefer having to deal with one screw per mount when leveling my scope then 6+. It's a very clever design that makes it easy on the end user, and they work.

Spuhr is great, though I've never bought one as I personally don't want to deal with the 12+ screws, and don't see the need to pay the price over say an M10.

Reactions: SPAK