• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 338 ULTRA SR - SHOT PREVIEW

Zak Smith

TBAC Guy
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/338-ultra-sr

This is the ASR submission suppressor for AI. It has the QD/Secondary Retention ("SR") mount we've been working on for a few years, that has the repeatability and accuracy of the BA/CB series but is faster and has a positive, secondary lock. It categorically avoids the "off by one" detent/latch locking issues that many mounts have.

This does NOT replace the regular 338 ULTRA SR. The SR mount and the 338 BA mount are NOT interoperable.

We have a bunch made and will accept orders starting the first morning of SHOT.

Last edited:

This is the ASR submission suppressor for AI. It has the QD/Secondary Retention ("ST") mount we've been working on for a few years, that has the repeatability and accuracy of the BA/CB series but is faster and has a positive, secondary lock. It categorically avoids the "off by one" detent/latch locking issues that many mounts have.

This does NOT replace the regular 338 ULTRA SR. The SR mount and the 338 BA mount are NOT interoperable.

Awesome! At the end of the video you say the mount will allow you to start making some other products. Does that mean this secondary lock will be on your 9/7/5 series in the near future as well?

No, the Ultra 9/7/5 will remain unchanged because their tube size is too small for this mount. We hope to have some other stuff with this mount in 1H19, but no promises.
Thank you sir! I'll look forward to anything coming out. No immediate plans for another can but if y'all have something brewing along these lines I'll definitely keep my eyes on the forums and the 'Gram :)

This is the ASR submission suppressor for AI. It has the QD/Secondary Retention ("ST") mount we've been working on for a few years, that has the repeatability and accuracy of the BA/CB series but is faster and has a positive, secondary lock. It categorically avoids the "off by one" detent/latch locking issues that many mounts have.

Three quick questions as I'm looking at getting this for an AI:
1. How does the effectiveness of the brake compare to the standard AXMC brake by AI?
2. What do you think ordering time / delivery to dealer time will be for the new suppressor and several of the mounting brakes?
(I would probably get a couple of the brake mounts so I can put on on each barrel)
3. Is this probably the best, newest option if you wanted to put it on an AXMC that had several different barrel calibers from .338 down to 6.5?

Thanks.

1. I don't have recoil comparison numbers at my fingertips, but the AXMC brake is much larger in diameter and I would expect it to be more effective.

2. We have a moderate number of these on the shelf ready to go, and the initial orders accepted at the beginning of SHOT will be fulfilled from that stock. Once those are sold, the 338-U-SR will be subject to our regular production backlog, https://thunderbeastarms.com/availability

3. The suppression performance is the same as the regular 338 ULTRA, and the mount adds a couple extra ounces. If you do not need the extra security of the SR mount, there is no need for the extra expense over the 338 ULTRA. That said, the mount is super slick and would be worth it for me for the cool factor, convenience, and locking. This thing was built specifically for the ASR solicitation spec, which had a lot of requirements most normal users don't consider, e.g. muzzle drop tests on suppressor or brake, etc.

I'll probably try to jump on one as soon as you start accepting the orders.
Can I just get pretty much any of your listed dealers to order it (TX), or for that one on initial orders is there a different ordering process to get some of the first batch?

Was there any reason as to why a secondary lock was needed? Any examples of why someone would need this over the standard 338 ultra?

Is it possible to convert existing 338 Ultra suppressors to this mounting system or would it be impossible under current NFA laws?

If you have some enhanced need for retention, this solves that problem. ASR specified a secondary lock mechanism due to, one might speculate, situations where a suppressor is mounted and then everything is shaken to hell for some time.

We've been working on a "QD" style mount for several years, and this SR mount is what came out of it. It just happened to be a great fit for the ASR solicitation (along with some changes to the brake design and a few tweaks to what is very close to a 338 Ultra body/core).

Can I just get pretty much any of your listed dealers to order it (TX), or for that one on initial orders is there a different ordering process to get some of the first batch?
Yes, just make sure they get an order in first thing the first day of SHOT Show. We can do it at the show, or over the phone. We have a few normal batches of these ready to go and after that we'll have a wait.

Could we also just order from you directly (phone or e-mail) to make sure the order gets on the list in time & then have you transfer it to the local SOT?

when i had my AI AXMC in 338 bought the AAC Titan QD --- well now dont i regret that shit.

ASR specified a secondary lock mechanism due to, one might speculate, situations where a suppressor is mounted and then everything is shaken to hell for some time.

For us civvies not that big of a deal, but I can think of multiple vehicles (air and ground) that "shake things to hell" quite a bit in the military ;) I understand their need/desire for this and it looks like you've created a great feature for QR and repeat-ability - something that has been difficult for other suppressor mfr's to accomplish, another win for TBAC!

No, the Ultra 9/7/5 will remain unchanged because their tube size is too small for this mount. We hope to have some other stuff with this mount in 1H19, but no promises.
This is both good and bad news. The good news is that I have an Ultra 5 in jail right now and was thinking "not again" because when I picked up my first TBAC BA brake you just announced the Ultra Series and I had to swap out all my brake's, get the adapter, etc. so when I saw this I thought, "will I want to buy another adapter and new brakes to work with Ultra 9/7/5 series SR suppressors", but now I don't have to worry about that ;)

We do NOT have any plans at this time to phase out CB mounts or the CB-mount cans. The CB mount is compact, works great, and does not add cost like the SR mount does, and works for virtually all precision applications.

Just finished a cover for an ultra and was marveling at how huge and majestic it looks. Thinking I can tell the wife I need one of these for R&D!
A3645939-2018-4D31-A743-109C4B80D9E3.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: davere
Damn, I can FINALLY talk about it! When you swore me to secrecy Zak I didn't think it'd be for a year!

It looks awesome, if I didn't buy that Elite Iron .338 during the 41P buying spree I'd definitely be filling out forms today. But I still don't even have the .338 rifle yet, divorce put that one on hold. Damn. The Elite Iron is a nice can, especially for the price, but this new one looks like it's gonna be the titties for a .338LM. You guys in the market for one are lucky.

I agree with the fellow above, it's high time you stepped up and offered a .50 BMG (well he said .375CT but we're going in the same direction here...). A QD .50 can like this SR, if it'll work with .50, would really stand out alone. But you'll really have your work cut out for you if you're gonna get it as quiet as AWC, who claimed their .50 can suppresses a BMG sufficiently enough to sound like a .22 report with no can (I obviously ran in the other direction).

Great job, guys. I love the display of complete confidence. Testing repeatability at 1000+ yds like a boss!

and great to see Bella!!

This is the ASR submission suppressor for AI. It has the QD/Secondary Retention ("SR") mount we've been working on for a few years, that has the repeatability and accuracy of the BA/CB series but is faster and has a positive, secondary lock. It categorically avoids the "off by one" detent/latch locking issues that many mounts have.

Can we use our "free TBAC certificate" on these??

The new suppressor looks great and I have a cert ready to go. But why oh why was the first batch Federal 20150 Surge Brown? ?

Those cans sold out fast, I sent my e-mail order at opening at 8:30 am as instructed on the website and got a confirmation e-mail that I won't have a serial number until June. Probably be a year before it shows up, it'll be awesome I'm sure.

All I have to say is that with SHOT going on, and I'm sure an overwhelming response to all of their new products, I'm impressed to hell that Zak and the guys at TBAC are keeping us guys on the Hide updated in real time. Another example of customer service that will keep me a TBAC customer for a long time.... Now, did I get my order in for the new bipod in time? hahahahahahahaha

Reactions: MysizeisMAGNUM
I replied to an email from TBAC a few days back and haven’t heard anything else. I just resent it again. I am hoping to get in on this first batch.

I replied to an email from TBAC a few days back and haven’t heard anything else. I just resent it again. I am hoping to get in on this first batch.

they weren't taking orders until 830am their time (mountain) this morning... I couldn't get through on the main line, but caught Adam on the other number and then emailed mine in about 905am... so hopefully you got in...

The invoices aren't updated yet so it just goes to default, we still have a bunch available
Zach, I updated my order from a 338 ultra to an SR this morning for the same specs, but I learned the only available color for this batch is the brown, and I want to confirm I'm down for one of the brown ones that are ready to ship (since my orginal order was for a black). Could I PM you my invoice to confirm I'll be allocated one from the current batch?

thanks!

Probably because we said we were not taking pre orders and not taking orders until this morning.

If you need to order something and aren't at the show, please email us. We will get to them all in order, but keep in mind almost all our office staff is slammed at our booth.

We are still good on in-stock 338 Ultra SR's at this time

Probably because we said we were not taking pre orders and not taking orders until this morning.

If you need to order something and aren't at the show, please email us. We will get to them all in order, but keep in mind almost all our office staff is slammed at our booth.

We are still good on in-stock 338 Ultra SR's at this time
@Zak Smith , can you confirm item #T1922RND is in fact the brown model that's currently in stock? I updated my old 338 order to the 338 sr with the same specs, and I don't recall if I specified the color change to the istock model.

Thanks

Yes, SB is our color code for Surge Brown
Thanks for the info. When your crew gets back in town, let them know they did an awesome job at the booth and we're very courtious, helpful and accommodating.