• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 win mag not liking 230 gr eld-x

Freediver111

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon
Well, picked up a barreled action Tikka in .338 wm, put it in a t3x stock, added some aftermarket parts, got it braked, and finally to the load development stage.

I’ve been having great luck with 143 ELD-x in some other guns, so decided to try the 230 gr eld-x for the .338.

Thus far I’ve tried H4350, RL19, and H4831sc. Performed a 10 round ladder test to find a node, loaded up some rounds and group tested them at various seating depths. So far the only promising powder is H4831sc. Gave me a 1” 4 shot group at 100, and that was just rounds seated to fit the mag. I’ll test more of those with various seating depths to see if they’ll work. Moving pretty slow at 2700 FPS with 73.8 grains, but that’s what I got. H4350 gave me great speeds, but never got a good group with that.

Anybody got any tips? I have some 225 Accubonds I’ll try next week. Might as well start looking at other bullets before I waste more money and time.

Anyone try the Berger 250 grainers out of a .338 win mag? I’m looking at those and Barnes TTSX as well.

I’m restricted in mag length with the Tikka, but if I find something that shoots great and needs a longer mag, I’ll get an aftermarket DBM so not worried about that yet.

If anyone has some .338 bullets in the 225-250 grain variety to test, I’ll buy some. Just throwing it out there. Berger or Barnes specifically. Thanks!

Reactions: Baboonhuntter