• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338Lapua Magnum - Barnes Bullets

madmax56

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2008
Canberra
Hi everyone,
I'm looking at trying 225grn TTSX from Barnes as a hunting load. My local dealer advised me to load the projectiles at least 50 Thou off the lands. While this gets the length of the cartridge down to a length that will fit in the magazine, I'm concerned that a jump that far may cause damage to the projectile.

Has anyone done any loading using these projectiles please?

I'm also looking at 160grn projectiles from Barnes as they should certainly give me a flatter trajectory than the larger 250 grain Lapua projectiles I am using for range work.

Cheers

Max

Re: 338Lapua Magnum - Barnes Bullets

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Madmax56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'm also looking at 160grn projectiles from Barnes as they should certainly give me a flatter trajectory than the larger 250 grain Lapua projectiles I am using for range work.

</div></div>

At what distance? The 160s will be fast, but their BC is probably less than half of the 250 Scenars.

I'm going out for a shot tonight - spotlighting. Anything outside 350yards the scope can't draw enough light so I'm going to use it between 200 and 300 yards over a spotlight. I've been shooting the thing at the range a lot. Time to get it out and actually use it hunting - if you can call spotlighting hunting - more like execution under a strong light. We'll drive around some pretty hilly paddocks in an area of around 4000 acres while shining a strong light looking for pigs, foxes and rabbits. My kids love coming out when we do this. anything in close we'll use the Tikka T3 223s on, anything out past 200 will get the 338. Massive overkill I know but this rifle yearns to shoot anywhere but a range for a change.
I Australia we have few large dangerous animals as you folks in the USA do. Feral pigs in my area is as close as that comes.

I'd imagine those 160's will be a laser beam between 100 and 300 yards, make sure to post pics of the carnage!!

I just looked up the BC of the 160 - quoted as .342 so it's pretty low and should get around 3600+fps out of the muzzle.

Going to zero it at 200 and would imagine it will be flat as.

Cheers

Sounds kewl, but the 338LM was made to shoot bigger bullets. If you want to shoot a 160 class bullet fast as all hell, should be using a 7mm Ultra Mag.

Sorry to be negative like that. There's just no point in doing it unless you aren't shooting past about 400. In which case, why use a 338LM?!? Just my opinion

About the 50 thou jump to lands... It's nothin. Barnes says to start at 50 thou off if you read the manual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd imagine those 160's will be a laser beam between 100 and 300 yards, make sure to post pics of the carnage!! </div></div>

I'd like to see pics as well! The .050 jump will not damage or deform those Barnes bullets. You may have some issues with bullet stability if your twist isn't right for the 160gr bullets.

The only reason I'm using these little pills is to get the rifle off the range and into the bush to do some hunting with it. The 250grain Lapua rounds are built for longer ranges surely. I was looking for a projectile that would return a flatter trajectory in the 100 to 300 range that we fing game off the back of the truck.

The 160 grain rounds Zero at 200 were an inch high at 100. Not sure what they're doing at 300 but falling more than 3 inches at 350.

Ended up only knocking a fox with it around 350+yards over the bonnet. Damage was extreme. I was looking for a head, the round dropped into his chest. It was like a hand grenade going off inside him. Didn't take any pictures, pretty bloody. Certainly effective.

Going to try the 225grain TTSXs next.

Thanks for the words guys.

Max